2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a mk9 66 plate hatchback Civic SR trim and I'm disappointed by the head unit capabilities. It has Garmin navigation but I would prefer to use Google maps from my phone. As you know the factory head unit is using Android 4.0.4 which doesn't support Android Auto and whilst it can be updated to use Mirrorlink it seems not all phones are compatible with Mirrorlink so that's not an option for me. So I'm planning to just upgrade the head unit to something more modern.

I've done a lot of digging on the internet on how to do this and information is hard to find. From what I gather this upgrade is harder on the SR trim because it comes with navigation.

It would appear I need an interface to connect from a new head unit to the Honda car tech modules. One I keep hearing about is Connect2 but I'm not sure if this works if you have a car with navigation. I figure this one: Connects2 Ltd but it doesn't specifically mention it works if you have the navigation unit.

I've also found another which would appear to work: Honda 2012> car with original NAV radio replacement and amplifier interface - InCarTec
This one does mention it works if you have a navigation unit, however it states that you must hardwire connections. I could probably get that done if it's a necessity.

Another concern I have with head unit upgrading is losing functionality. From what I've read you only lose the ability to set the clock from the i-MID display but other functionality on that display continues to work through steering wheel controls. I'm also concerned the factory reverse camera will no longer work as expected but the interfaces above suggest it will. I'm leaning more towards purchasing the Incartec product as instructions are clearer and I know for a fact it will work with the navigation unit. Installation instructions for the hardwiring are here: https://incartec.blob.core.windows.net/instructions/23-229-nav wire mod.pdf

Has anyone done this upgrade before on an SR spec with navigation and got experience to share?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
yeah, when i got my SR i also looked for something similar - not a fan of the factory garmin nav. found similar to you, not much info and some conflicting comments.

my first efforts was to get the latest o/s on the head unit - honda dealer completely f*cked it up and ended up with a unit that wouldn't re-boot - took them over a month to sort that out and involved having it sent back to honda uk for them to resolve.. after that i just lost interest and with iphone 8 on a magnetic mount sat next to the nav unit this is much better for navigation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm determined to upgrade mine as I intend to have the car for at least the next 5 years.

Sounds like you had a right faff just updating the original. I could probably live with an upgraded head unit with RC8 if my phone supported Mirrorlink but it doesn't and I don't want my car to dictate which phones I can buy. Mirrorlink is also outdated tech.

It does sound like the head unit is replaceable without too much loss though.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
there are a few functions you'd lose if you removed the honda head unit - the "trip" mpg and history of "A" i don't think you can get to anywhere else. the range remaining i usually look up on the head unit but i think you can get the imid to display that, although it's a faff to go through the menus to switch it over.

i'd given up the idea of changing mine, but i did see this the other day and it's got me thinking about this again.. ;)

10.1" screen :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are a few functions you'd lose if you removed the honda head unit - the "trip" mpg and history of "A" i don't think you can get to anywhere else. the range remaining i usually look up on the head unit but i think you can get the imid to display that, although it's a faff to go through the menus to switch it over.

i'd given up the idea of changing mine, but i did see this the other day and it's got me thinking about this again.. ;)

10.1" screen :D
That 10.1" screen does look lovely, but very expensive! I think I'd go for something mid range though.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying we'd lose. I've only had the car a week and a half so I'm not fully clued up on the imid display. I normally just leave it on this setting as I like to know my fuel economy:

I already know I'd lose the clock. So you're saying I'd lose the MPG display as well? That would be disappointing if so.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
That 10.1" screen does look lovely, but very expensive! I think I'd go for something mid range though.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying we'd lose. I've only had the car a week and a half so I'm not fully clued up on the imid display. I normally just leave it on this setting as I like to know my fuel economy:

View attachment 311570

I already know I'd lose the clock. So you're saying I'd lose the MPG display as well? That would be disappointing if so.
no, you'd not lose anything that you currently see in I-mid. My point was that you get to see MORE info in the head unit. The mpg you see in i-mid is average since you re-set your "A" trip meter. On the head unit you get this A reading, history of your A averages plus average for each trip, and a rage remaining figure.

if you went with aftermarket hu then you'd only be able to see A and B averages on the imid. You can get the range to display on i-mid by going through the config but IIRC you switch it out with the mpg - you can t have both displayed in imid.

i'd be interested to see what unit you get and how it works out :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, you'd not lose anything that you currently see in I-mid. My point was that you get to see MORE info in the head unit. The mpg you see in i-mid is average since you re-set your "A" trip meter. On the head unit you get this A reading, history of your A averages plus average for each trip, and a rage remaining figure.

if you went with aftermarket hu then you'd only be able to see A and B averages on the imid. You can get the range to display on i-mid by going through the config but IIRC you switch it out with the mpg - you can t have both displayed in imid.

i'd be interested to see what unit you get and how it works out :)
Oh right, thanks for the clarification! I actually didn't know you could get more info on MPG etc in the head unit itself. Only had the car a week and a half so there's probably loads of things I haven't yet discovered. I can live without that information as long as I keep everything in the i-mid display as you say. That's more important than the history data in the head unit for me.

Does upgrading the head unit affect the rear camera at all providing the new head unit has video input?

I will definitely update the thread if/when I do an upgrade. I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I try it, and buy the correct interface so I'm not in a hurry. Also wondering whether to wait until the 3 month warranty my car came with expires as I'll probably invalidate it by doing this.

If only Honda had updated their software when they released new vehicles. A 2016 car shouldn't come with a 2012 version of Android. :/

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm in a similar position myself wanting to change the Connect in my FK2R to an Android unit.
In my travels there is a wave of Chinese ujits from Dasiata, Seicane and a handful of others that look to still be able to pull the MPG and trip data via the canbus system. At the same time also adding other features such as heater controls on the replacement headunit to, again this is all done via canbus link to the car.

The problem so far is I'm yet to see a good video from a European 9G, but there are loads for US 9G's and the new 10G has even more.

With these Chinese units priced around the £400 mark they are much more affordable than the top tier makers such as Pioneer, Alpine etc and run full blown Android 8 or 9 Pie now. So allow full Google Play Store use and any app in the store.

Another unit I'm watching with interest is called a Maestro RR2 and is essentially a command module that sits between the car and your choice of replacement headunit. This then allows you to keep the various car features such as steering wheel control etc and add others. Again from the videos I have seen trip data etc but not installed on a Euro 9G Civic.

Ian Contessa

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hi, i want to change mine to, can it be switched without needing extra wires or cables ?
Hey Buddy.

Yes and no I'd say. Yes, if you can find the right adaptor lead set to just plug straight it and no if you have GPS and other features which will require additional leads to allow them to connect to your choice of headunit. The latter is usually a small patch lead again that has the stock Honda plug one end and the other side to match the headunit.

The Chinese units I've seen look to offer the various patch leads to make the swap over as simple as possible, usually it's just a case of asking them.

Then the likes of the Connects2 kit with steering wheel controls also allows easier swap over.

Ian Contessa

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm in a similar position myself wanting to change the Connect in my FK2R to an Android unit.
In my travels there is a wave of Chinese ujits from Dasiata, Seicane and a handful of others that look to still be able to pull the MPG and trip data via the canbus system. At the same time also adding other features such as heater controls on the replacement headunit to, again this is all done via canbus link to the car.

The problem so far is I'm yet to see a good video from a European 9G, but there are loads for US 9G's and the new 10G has even more.

With these Chinese units priced around the £400 mark they are much more affordable than the top tier makers such as Pioneer, Alpine etc and run full blown Android 8 or 9 Pie now. So allow full Google Play Store use and any app in the store.

Another unit I'm watching with interest is called a Maestro RR2 and is essentially a command module that sits between the car and your choice of replacement headunit. This then allows you to keep the various car features such as steering wheel control etc and add others. Again from the videos I have seen trip data etc but not installed on a Euro 9G Civic.

Ian Contessa

You need to be a guinea pig Ian and try it out :)

I looked up that dasiata unit - looks like the volume controls are on the lhs? ie for lhd vehicle? i know you have steering wheel controls too but that would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I got in touch with Connects2 to see if they had an interface that was suitable for my car - linked the one I linked in my first post. This was their reply:

"Unfortunately if the radio in your vehicle is amplified and if the original radio is a Navigation system then unfortunately we do not have an interface that will be compatible."

So I am now thinking the only option is the InCarTec one that requires hardwiring of the unit for nav version. I'm a little uncomfortable with hardwiring stuff like that but my partner reckons they could do it. Honda 2012> car with original NAV radio replacement and amplifier interface - InCarTec

I've not had a chance yet to look into the Chinese units Coolice mentions but I too would probably go for a Chinese unit for the same reasons (more affordable than the likes of Pioneer). My main focus has been on trying to find the right car interface.

Edit: Just had a look on the website for Maestro RR2. That does sound promising as well but need more information.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
You need to be a guinea pig Ian and try it out :)

I looked up that dasiata unit - looks like the volume controls are on the lhs? ie for lhd vehicle? i know you have steering wheel controls too but that would drive me nuts.
Lol, I might be in the summer time. I am desperate to change the unit and add a sub so it's on the cards.

Good point, I must admit I didn't notice the position of the volume controls. But I don't think it will be too difficult to reach still, plus with the steering controls you'd probably use them. Having said this some of the Chinese units are now coming with gesture controls to, so you could just wave your hand in front of it a bit.

I got in touch with Connects2 to see if they had an interface that was suitable for my car - linked the one I linked in my first post. This was their reply:

"Unfortunately if the radio in your vehicle is amplified and if the original radio is a Navigation system then unfortunately we do not have an interface that will be compatible."

So I am now thinking the only option is the InCarTec one that requires hardwiring of the unit for nav version. I'm a little uncomfortable with hardwiring stuff like that but my partner reckons they could do it. Honda 2012> car with original NAV radio replacement and amplifier interface - InCarTec

I've not had a chance yet to look into the Chinese units Coolice mentions but I too would probably go for a Chinese unit for the same reasons (more affordable than the likes of Pioneer). My main focus has been on trying to find the right car interface.

Edit: Just had a look on the website for Maestro RR2. That does sound promising as well but need more information.
Hey.

Ah thta's mirrored what I'd seen in my travels, that if you only have the bog standard radio setup then the swap is very easy. But if you have the nav or seperate amplified units, then there is more work involved.
From what I have seen of the Chinese ads they do ask that if your car has an amplifer to contact them to discuss what you need, so I think there is ways aroudn it.
With the nav, from what I've seen in a good couple of posts centred around the HR-V I think it was which isn't too far away from what we have, there is patch leads to link the cars stock USB ports and GPS aerial to the aftermarket headunit.

Again though as you say, there isn't nothing definitive for our 9G's which is the stumbling block for me so far. From what I can see these units look to have the interfacing right and the canbus protocol to communicate with the car, but this is shown in US 9G's or newer 10G cars.

As for wiring up the radios, while not hard if you take your time, things can go wrong if you are unsure and with so many systems in the modern cars all linked together you need to be even more careful. So if there is any doubt I would get it booked in somewhere.

I used to be heavily into my ICE, which is where my plans stem from; MainPage choosing the load stereo over performance.

Ian Contessa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey.

Ah thta's mirrored what I'd seen in my travels, that if you only have the bog standard radio setup then the swap is very easy. But if you have the nav or seperate amplified units, then there is more work involved.
From what I have seen of the Chinese ads they do ask that if your car has an amplifer to contact them to discuss what you need, so I think there is ways aroudn it.
With the nav, from what I've seen in a good couple of posts centred around the HR-V I think it was which isn't too far away from what we have, there is patch leads to link the cars stock USB ports and GPS aerial to the aftermarket headunit.

Again though as you say, there isn't nothing definitive for our 9G's which is the stumbling block for me so far. From what I can see these units look to have the interfacing right and the canbus protocol to communicate with the car, but this is shown in US 9G's or newer 10G cars.

As for wiring up the radios, while not hard if you take your time, things can go wrong if you are unsure and with so many systems in the modern cars all linked together you need to be even more careful. So if there is any doubt I would get it booked in somewhere.

I used to be heavily into my ICE, which is where my plans stem from; MainPage choosing the load stereo over performance.

Ian Contessa
I've no idea if my system has an amplifier but it has premium audio so I would assume so. It has the nav anyway so suffers from the upgrade issues. Do you have any links to decent Chinese units? I wouldn't mind contacting one of them to see what they say.

It's odd that there's more information on 10G cars floating around than there is for 9G car upgrades. If I had a 10G I'd be happy with the system it came with. The 9G system just feels crippled by its obsolete version of Android. Shame it can't be hacked to put a custom ROM on like you can with phones.

The InCarTec interface doesn't seem overly difficult to wire that I'd hire a professional to do it as that just adds to the cost. But at £130 + £10 delivery it's an expensive buy if it doesn't work as planned. Can only assume they're expensive because they don't make many.

Interesting page, you'll have to let us know how it goes if you decide to upgrade! Although I may attempt mine before you if you're waiting until the summer. Ideally want mine done by May so it's ready for day trips.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I've no idea if my system has an amplifier but it has premium audio so I would assume so. It has the nav anyway so suffers from the upgrade issues. Do you have any links to decent Chinese units? I wouldn't mind contacting one of them to see what they say.

It's odd that there's more information on 10G cars floating around than there is for 9G car upgrades. If I had a 10G I'd be happy with the system it came with. The 9G system just feels crippled by its obsolete version of Android. Shame it can't be hacked to put a custom ROM on like you can with phones.

The InCarTec interface doesn't seem overly difficult to wire that I'd hire a professional to do it as that just adds to the cost. But at £130 + £10 delivery it's an expensive buy if it doesn't work as planned. Can only assume they're expensive because they don't make many.

Interesting page, you'll have to let us know how it goes if you decide to upgrade! Although I may attempt mine before you if you're waiting until the summer. Ideally want mine done by May so it's ready for day trips.
Good Morning.

Not sure myself either, but if it's Premium that hints it may well be as I think this setup has additional speakers? Don't know of any quick way to verify other than to go looking for it and it's under the steering wheel area usually I think, or is around this area on the R.

Here are some links to units I'm eyeing up based on what I've read, also the first link is a HR-V that the owner removed the Connect from and replaced it. This write up, which is also on XDA Forums, seems to show it's quite a good upgrade;

1. Dasaita 8" Android Head Unit Upgrade (HA5248-V840-8)

2. Dasaita - Dasaita I like hte look of these ones, perhaps 10.2" is a bit too big, but would look good.

3. Dasaita - Dasaita This looks to be a good compromise, normal 2din size and with 4G of RAM will run multiple apps at the same time nicely.

This guys videos are worth watching as he shows some of the features and has installed the odd unit in a 10G Civic from memory;

With the wiring, it's not really difficult once you know what each colour wire does and you could look to buy the opposite wiring plug to splice into the new radios wiring harness, thus saving messing around with the cars. This is what I have done and the two plugs that I am supposed to need are sat in the drawer awaiting future use.

Yeah will do, keep us posted on what way you go and how it all works out. With only 4032 miles on my R from new I don't use my car no where near enough, but do fancy a sub and better radio to make when I do more enjoyable as I do like my music.

Ian Contessa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good Morning.

Not sure myself either, but if it's Premium that hints it may well be as I think this setup has additional speakers? Don't know of any quick way to verify other than to go looking for it and it's under the steering wheel area usually I think, or is around this area on the R.

Here are some links to units I'm eyeing up based on what I've read, also the first link is a HR-V that the owner removed the Connect from and replaced it. This write up, which is also on XDA Forums, seems to show it's quite a good upgrade;

1. Dasaita 8" Android Head Unit Upgrade (HA5248-V840-8)

2. Dasaita - Dasaita I like hte look of these ones, perhaps 10.2" is a bit too big, but would look good.

3. Dasaita - Dasaita This looks to be a good compromise, normal 2din size and with 4G of RAM will run multiple apps at the same time nicely.

This guys videos are worth watching as he shows some of the features and has installed the odd unit in a 10G Civic from memory;

With the wiring, it's not really difficult once you know what each colour wire does and you could look to buy the opposite wiring plug to splice into the new radios wiring harness, thus saving messing around with the cars. This is what I have done and the two plugs that I am supposed to need are sat in the drawer awaiting future use.

Yeah will do, keep us posted on what way you go and how it all works out. With only 4032 miles on my R from new I don't use my car no where near enough, but do fancy a sub and better radio to make when I do more enjoyable as I do like my music.

Ian Contessa
Yeah according to the original brochure for the car it says "8 speakers (high power audio, 320 watt)" so I figure from that it does have an amp.

I like the look of the 10.2" unit you linked, I'd probably go for that one myself although I wonder how much it would stick out and block things above and below it like vents or buttons since the original space was designed for a 7" unit. The 10" one doesn't mention having Android Auto but I guess it's just a case of installing the app.

I was a little lost when you said I could "buy the opposite wiring plug to splice into the new radios wiring harness, thus saving messing around with the cars". Do you mean buy specific wiring plugs rather than a full interface like the InCarTec one I mentioned?

I've had a read of the HRV forum link you put as well, sounded promising but someone said the unit did everything but Android Auto and was selling it so I'm confused. I don't know much about the HRV cars, but looks like they have the same nav unit as ours from what I can see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I have learned the hard way by having a go, and finding out by trial and error.
For starters, I have a Civic 1.8 auto estate, 2016. It has a double din (of sorts - I’ll get to that later) but no Satnav or premium sound.
My upgrade just installed today - Kenwood dmx8018dabs, 8inch Alpine sub on pioneer 2 ch amp, 6.5inch components in the front on same pioneer amp, and sound deadening to front doors. Harness - connects2 ctsho006.2. With kenwood patch.
wiring was quite easy from battery, through Gromit, and following the left cill into the boot. The pioneer amps sit snugly on their side in the empty spare wheel well. RCAs, speaker wires for components and amp remote Switch cables ran under the carpet and through the centre console, which was a bit of a faff, but very tidy.
I was worried about getting the speaker cables into the doors, cos I had read about having to drill out connector blocks, but this wasn’t a problem on my civic, but it was still awkward feeding the cable through.
the sound deadening was by by noico, and I used an unbranded foam too. I can’t hear any road noise improvement, but there are no unwanted vibrations from the more powerful speakers. Btw the std speakers are unbelievably trash - and hard to believe that the churn out any noise at all.
sound - amazing compared to before, but I have a bit of a hiss which i need to resolve which I am told may be resolved by improving the ground wire.
functionality - well I love the kenwood head unit, and apple CarPlay, so defo a big plus over the clunky std unit with the unused friendly user interface. No, can’t change the time on the dash so it looks like I’ll be unplugging the battery at midnight to reset the clock. And the fuel data is a lot more scant. I messed up on the aerial connectors, so those are on order. I have the connect2 for the fm lead, but I am hoping that a smb male - female Lead will work on The dab, otherwise it may be aftermarket aerial time. I couldn’t get the built in mic to work so have used the one supplied with the hu. The rear camera rather disappointingly does not work. I have seen a workaround on YouTube, but it means messing with the cars harness which I am not prepared to do. But hey, it does have front and rear beepers.
the big miss for me was the fascia. I thought that the Honda double dimension was standard size - it certainly looks it to the eye. But hey, this is Honda! No it’s 6mm narrower than standard, so 8 have a Connects2 fascia on order, cos it looks pants with a gap around cos the kenwood trim won’t fit.
oh, finally, I installed a kenwood dashcam which operates via the hu. Now that is a good bit of kit which I would recommend if you have a compatible hu.
cheers
steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. That sounds painful, especially the fascia bit. I wasn't aware you can't just slot a new radio into the current fascia and have it fit. The upgrade is supposed to be easier on non-nav units so going to be harder for me. How come you didn't want to mess with the car's harness? I also thought the rear camera would just work when using Connects2.

I was also planning to install sound deadening on the doors but if it didn't make any improvement for yourself it doesn't seem like something I should bother with.

I've actually discovered in the past couple of days that there's a way to hack the HDMI port to mirror any phone screen to the head unit and have it working whilst driving (Honda limits HDMI to when you're parked). You have to use a Fire Stick or similar and cast your phone, and go into diagnostic mode to keep the screen on. Seems a bit of a pain. There's a permanent fix to bypass the diagnostic steps but it's an expensive addition. I'm tempted down this path if replacing the head unit is going to be too difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Xenor
The rear camera fix I saw was on YouTube (FiveStar I think). It means identifying the + & - supplies, and getting 6v to these, and then finding the video lines and crafting an AV connector to them. For me at the moment it’s just a step too far, esp trying to find a 6v power source.
sorry, I may have misled you on the sound deadening. It didn’t seem to improve road noise for me, but think that the doors would have been banging and clanking all over the place with the new speakers if I hadn’t done the sound deadening. It’s a bit of a pain but I’do it again defo.
cheers
steve

1 - 20 of 51 Posts