2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What bulbs are people upgrading to?
Im wanting brighter and whiter if possible.
Want something legal and will pass a MOT too!
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm interested in the answer to this too. I was just commenting earlier today that I thought the headlights were dangerously poor. I had a BMW 5 series before with xenon's which was a revelation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, the Civic headlights are very poor comparatively even to older cars. My other car (Peugeot 206+) has headlights with much more light, even with the original lamps.

In the civic i changed to Philips Xtremevision 130%. Does not make a big difference but no doubt that it improves.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
All H7s, For a Legal halogen bulb, my preference is the Osram night breaker Laser - Other high performance bulbs available! Note that these are slightly whiter and brighter, but only slightly so, and will require more frequent replacement than a regular halogen bulb.

If you're willing to forgoe the MOT / Strict legality requirement, You can pop in HID H7 Bulbs - These won't pass an MOT, but they will massively improve light output and colour - See the thread / guide I posted for more information.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
It's very strange to see my car with those antiquated halogen candles ( :p ), but this may be of use - The left as viewed / Offiside / Drivers side bulb is the OEM Phillips bulb; Right as viewed / Nearside / Passenger side bulb is an OSRAM Nightbreaker Laser.

Top down - Note the slight improvement in colour temperature.

Excuse the bloom; In real viewing the OSRAM is the brighter bulb by a small margin and projects more light on the road.

Gratuitous closeups:

And to fulfill my monthly HID Promotion quota ( :p ), and because it's a nice picture, here's an example of HID Colour temperature also in daytime lighting:

·
Super Moderator
2,259 Posts
coming from a 8g sport with hid's as standard I find the dip beam really poor on dark twisty roads and id even agree too classing them as dangerously poor
the main beam isn't that bad
I never really used main beam in my old 8g as the lights were that good on dip
I have a pair of Osram night breaker laser ready to fit just need to find the spare time at same time as motivation
and daylight

·
Registered
92 Posts
Must agree lights are rubbish. I've put Night breakers in just as I did in my CRV with same projector lamps and the result was not a great improvement. However in the CRV they were such an improvement that I rarely used main beam even on country lanes. They seem to project too far to the left on the nearside and insufficiently forward on the r/H lamp. Anyway service due soon so will have a moan to the dealer. If still no better might adjust upwards to see if any better. Can always then lower a bit on the load level switch if I get complaints.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would if I did a lot of evening/early morning driving but took early retirement back in 06 so not much of it anymore. Also don't have to scrape the ice off too often or slide through the snow! Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
I put Nightbreaker +130% bulbs in my F30 BMW 3-series as the halogen lights are pretty mediocre and noticed very little difference, certainly not the difference that 130% suggests

I'm not sure halogen lights are particularly bad it's just that with many cars now having LED as standard they just seem poor in comparison

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I put Phillips Extreme Vision +130 in mine yesterday - first impressions a marginal improvement and my hands are healing OK
The HIDs in my 06 were loads better

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
I think at this time of year that crud off the road affects early morning and night time vision due to crap off the car in front covering your lights. Have tried all sorts of bulbs and none IMHO offer massive improvement over standard. A bit like premium fuels, you can throw money at it but the benefits if any are marginal or none existent. I carry a set of wet wipes in my glove box and whenever I get a chance clean the headlights. Seems to do the trick as I don't have any issues at all with night time driving when the weather improves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts