2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the clearcoat on my headlights has started to peel and would like to restore them myself. Would wet sanding and a good buffer with some t cut be suffice? As the clearcoat might be a pain to remove would I need to dry sand at maybe a 500 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit wet sand? Also is it worth reapplying some uv protected clearcoat? I've watched loads of videos on how to do it but everyone has a different way so not sure how to go about this.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
I have done this now on a clio, c3 and a micra.
Best way I have found is to use a rotary polisher with cutting compound and a quick detailer to keep it lubricated. Then I
Continued with a polish compound repeated to the process till it was nice and clear... after that I used a wax sealant to protect the plastic lenses...lasted for well over a couple of years before it needed doing again (but not as clouded as it was originally)

·
i-Vtec
2,805 Posts
Sorry its easy to explain, but go and watch some youtube tutorials on it.

I doubt there is anyone better to explain.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've noticed the clearcoat on my headlights has started to peel and would like to restore them myself. Would wet sanding and a good buffer with some t cut be suffice? As the clearcoat might be a pain to remove would I need to dry sand at maybe a 500 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit wet sand? Also is it worth reapplying some uv protected clearcoat? I've watched loads of videos on how to do it but everyone has a different way so not sure how to go about this.

I did exactly what you explained and sanded gradually working to 3000 wet and dry then clear coated and a week later buffed with a good carnuba wax because mine were very dull and yellow. It turned out great and i now treat them the same as the body work and wax them when i wax the car still as good 18 months later. Now my daughters clio wasn’t so bad so i did the polish and buff but if yours is peeling I personally would recoat with clear laquer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts