2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new Accord owner I'm looking for some help.

I've purchased a Accord Ex 07, and it clearly has the little headlight washers 'squares' below my headlights. Having fitted aftermarker HID due to the headlights being projector, I can't seem to get the washers to work.

I've filled up the reservoir but can't tell if it's as large as 5.8ltrs.
I've turned ignition on, headlights on, washed for 3second around ten times.
I've had a listen and it's only the drivers side that has a pump sound to it.
Fuse is in and fine.

Any clues what I might be missing, or is it a case of faulty pumps?

p.s. My Fathers new 60 EX comes with halogen, projector but no headlight washers as a boring fact.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey you tried get your fingers in there and pulling them up manually?

Not sure if they are the same as the EX Civic but mine once stopped working and I pulled them up as far as they went (obviously not too much force as you don't want to break the plastic) and then let them go - after that they seem to have worked.

Hope this has helped! They pull upwards in a kind of diagonal direction!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I pulled them up when I first had my hands on the car for detailing it, that's when I twigged they weren't blanks as I previously thought. Pulled them up and revealed the jets and so on. I would assume they should work!

edit: I've looked at the original Honda advert, and it states headlight washers, so it was a working option.
The only other issue I could even imagine is the fact the battery went flat a few days ago, but then I though it wasn't a electric motor more water pressure?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think it is a motor as you correctly said - they just get pushed up when the water comes through. Can't hep any further than that. Sorry.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Had a problem with mine.

Dealer told me tank must be over half full (which you've checked) and that they only come only once in a dozen times or so - but you seem to have checked for that by doing it ten times.

The problem I had was an air bubble in the system somewhere which they cleared for me in no time at all.

All working fine since!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For any future reference, the dealers ordered a part as it was believed to be faulty, went to have it fitted today and it ended up being a wire issue somewhere down the line. Charged about £80 for labour and parts in the end, which in total for having the car 4hrs isn't too bad, even though I believe it should have been checked in the pre out of warranty service.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you've ever taken the bumper off on your Accord exec you'll see that the pumps are mechanical and work on water pressure.. you need to have a minimum amount in the reservoir before they work otherwise the water is diverted to the screen..

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Had a problem with mine.

Dealer told me tank must be over half full (which you've checked) and that they only come only once in a dozen times or so - but you seem to have checked for that by doing it ten times.

The problem I had was an air bubble in the system somewhere which they cleared for me in no time at all.

All working fine since!
The washer jets only work the first time after you start the engine when you use the windscreen washers with the headlights on (unless you press the headlight washer button).

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
This has changed on later cars because of the amount of water the system uses.
Ah, good idea. I'm topping my washer fluid up every other week atm lol.

I think you guys are talking about the Civic - the thread is about accords :lol:
Ah, so it is. Might use the same washer system? :p

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well no because it sounds like you have a seperate button for headlight washers? On the Accord the washers automatically come on when the headlights are on and you pull the stalk for the screen wash. If there isn't enough water in the reservoir, it only goes to the screen.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Well no because it sounds like you have a seperate button for headlight washers? On the Accord the washers automatically come on when the headlights are on and you pull the stalk for the screen wash. If there isn't enough water in the reservoir, it only goes to the screen.
Yeah, my civic works the same way as the accords by the sounds of it.

The button that kenP means is fitted to MY09 and on civics and allows you to 'turn off' the headlight washers so they won't spray even with the headlights on.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Yeah, my civic works the same way as the accords by the sounds of it.

The button that kenP means is fitted to MY09 and on civics and allows you to 'turn off' the headlight washers so they won't spray even with the headlights on.
The button doesn't allow you to turn off the headlight washers it is for operating them on there own, as they only work with the windscreen washers the first time after starting the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts