2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The title says it all really -when spraying screenwash the headlights go off!

Anyone know if this is likely to be a simple wiring issue or whether I'm looking at something to do with a mixed up control unit?

It's a 2.2 CDTi by the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
krebacz is spot on, the spray obscures the light! Thanks.

Follow up question. Is there a way of adjusting how much spray is used? It seems that most goes to the headlights when I'd have expected most to go to the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Is there a way of adjusting how much spray is used? It seems that most goes to the headlights when I'd have expected most to go to the windscreen.
Not as far as I know, and certainly nothing in the handbook or that I've ever read here.

To avoid guzzling through the washer tank too quickly when my lights are quite clean enough, I switch to sidelights at (say) traffic lights, and wash the screen then. I realise that isn't much help on the motorway, but you get the idea? ;)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Not as far as I know, and certainly nothing in the handbook or that I've ever read here.

To avoid guzzling through the washer tank too quickly when my lights are quite clean enough, I switch to sidelights at (say) traffic lights, and wash the screen then. I realise that isn't much help on the motorway, but you get the idea? ;)
Yeah, I find the headlight washers really do guzzle my washer fluid. Now winters approaching and i'm driving in the dark more, I find myself filling up the 5-6 litre washer bottle every week :s

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
If you've got OEM HID's, you'll have washers. Few ways to tell:

How much fluid can your washer bottle hold?
Should hold about 2 litres without headlight washers and 5.2 litres I think with them.

Have you got a manual headlight adjust on your dash?
If not, you've got HID's and will have headlight washers.

You can visually look for the washers on your front bumper. You should see two square 'patches' (I dunno how to describe em lol), one under each headlight.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are you sure your light turn off? In my EX the sprinkler fluid obscures much of the light so they look dimmed for the time of cleaning.
+1!

·
Registered
187 Posts
One other thing to bear in mind, if you tap the screenwash stalk, the headlight washers always work for about 2 seconds then stop. The windscreen washers work the whole time you're pulling the stalk, so even if you hold it for 10 seconds the headlight washers don't seem to activate longer than their set time. Meaning its a bit more efficient on water than I first expected it to be =P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts