2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following from this guide:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76822800&postcount=2430

I went out tonight for a play and to see if I could get it rooted. (Using a windows VM on a Manjaro Linux Laptop, which complicated matters a tad :p )
Alas, It was not to be rooted for tonight, but having a play around in the shell is quite interesting:- The devs have gone to town on the permissions; The shell user that one connects as using the regular android debugging tools can't really do jack, despite being able to see the root file system (I'm fairly sure) on login.

Whilst the guide above suggests (perhaps rightly ;) ) the removal of the headunit, I found that my screws had been torqued down to about 100 Ugga duggas, so all I could manage to do was strip the screw heads (A bit; I gave up before long).

What I did find however, is that you can use a flathead screw driver to pry up the two bottom latches (Photo attached), allowing the removal of the plastic piece without having to move the screen:- be VERY careful, as flatheads + ribboncables is very likely to end in tears:- You may notice there is a second internal ribbon cable behind the right latch, so really do be cautious, and don't try to do it in zero light at midnight as I did :laugh:
After some very dainty fingerwork, I managed to feed the smallest USB cable I could find into the debug USB port and gain access using the ADB.

Well; There's some ramblings:- I'll most likely be back at it again tommorow to see what else I can do; If I can manage to get a root shell, I'll see if I can dig out some of the files on the unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Just to add to this post with some further titbits since that original guide was posted;

If you're wondering how you do this without a tilting screen have a read of this post, it's a bit more involved since you need to take a few more parts off of the dash.

I can also imagine a few people wondering how they can get their hands on Micro USB A cable, the answer apparently is don't worry; the connector supposedly is shaped, and designed, to take both Micro A and B, the latter of which I'm sure most will have kicking around somewhere. If your cable doesn't fit in the hole because it's too bulky, don't be afraid to shave some of the rubber/plastic away. [smilie=upyeah.gif]

I've not personally tested the iRoot method, but as someone who follows the thread on XDA I have seen numerous people succeed by using the guide Haltamer linked to with Micro B cables.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As above, something that I forgot to mention - I just used a smallish phone charging cable - One of these below:

I did have to make some alterations to the USB with the screwdriver, being careful not to mutilate my thumb, Just to shave it down and make some more space.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Just managed to successfully root mine and it now has the permissions app available in the Android screen! This was using a standard Micro USB cable. The main problem I have had is with the iRoot windows app seems to have a virus, so the Anti virus software prevented it from running. I had to use an older laptop which needs a re-installation of Windows anyway.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Can anyone help me do this near south yorkshire? I dont really want to have a go and brick the head unit.
I have the RC 8 software.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Dutch
1,937 Posts
Just managed to successfully root mine and it now has the permissions app available in the Android screen! This was using a standard Micro USB cable. The main problem I have had is with the iRoot windows app seems to have a virus, so the Anti virus software prevented it from running. I had to use an older laptop which needs a re-installation of Windows anyway.

Great mate!

Will soon try this also, do you know it’s possible to do with a MacBook? iRoot is also available for Mac?!

Did your screen not go while you were working on it?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great mate!

Will soon try this also, do you know it’s possible to do with a MacBook? iRoot is also available for Mac?!

Did your screen not go while you were working on it?
Whilst untested on a mac, if you can carry out the same procedures using Iroot I don't see why you would have any trouble.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Evening All.

Quick question, has anyone managed to install apps with RC8?
So far I've managed to inject the permissions app using the iRoot method, this went quite smoothly once I'd ground down a USB lead to make it super slim and then worked out which way up it had to go to connect, as I didn't remove the screen as I couldn't remove the screws easily.
However now I still cannot get past the greyed out button, even after I've changed the permission to PREINSTALL and even added another to allow application.apk files to be allowed.

Cheers.

Ian

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly the process I followed; Did you change the package loaded onto the system by iRoot to the Honda Permissions package? Sounds like it given you've gone through setting the permissions.

I have got them running on RC8, It's just a struggle to remember the process I followed now. Have you double checked Third party sources are allowed?

Furthermore, I'd test both installing a named apk from USB (I guess this is what you're doing at the mo), and tethering to your phone, downloading the .apk directly to the unit and running it from the download application, as this serves as something of a backdoor for the third party app install function.

I'd suggest installing a file manager as your first app, as from there you can also launch any application files (Direct from USB) and rename them as needed.

Sorry I can't be of more use, but I can tell you that you are very close - Stick with it for a bit longer and I'm sure you'll get there; Happy tinkering.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Awesome, thanks for your input buddy.

Yes I did, iRoot injected the permissions app from MikeS all ok. So that part is fine and working.

I was installing apps before with RC4 so got the trick down and mess around with Android a lot on phones & tablets, but I think you might have actually figured out what I missed, the "allow unknown sources" button within the operating system. DOH!
As I've not been in to change it and it won't prompt you like a phone would from memory, I don't think I've checked it to allow installations, so will check when I next jump in the car.

Will keep you posted.

Ian

Update; Unkown sources was already checked, so I had done it. Still not there, can see the renamed app but it's greyed out. More playing required. I'm missing something simple I am sure

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but where have you guys been getting iRoot from as the official site doesn't appear to be up and the Dropbox link on XDA Devs is missing.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but where have you guys been getting iRoot from as the official site doesn't appear to be up and the Dropbox link on XDA Devs is missing.
Hey Buddy.

Looks to be working for me;

Seems flaky the iRoot web site.
The version I use and have is available here; iRoot_1.8.9.21144.zip - Shared with pCloud

If you still get stuck, message me your email address and I will sendspace the iRoot I used as I have it on my PC from the XDA how-to post.

Ian Contessa

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Hey Buddy.

Looks to be working for me;

Seems flaky the iRoot web site.
The version I use and have is available here; iRoot_1.8.9.21144.zip - Shared with pCloud

If you still get stuck, message me your email address and I will sendspace the iRoot I used as I have it on my PC from the XDA how-to post.

Ian Contessa
That's greatly appreciated, thanks.

For some reason I get a Cloudflare timeout error when I try and access www.iroot.com whether using my broadband or tethering via my phone.

The pCloud link you posted worked a treat.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
That's greatly appreciated, thanks.

For some reason I get a Cloudflare timeout error when I try and access www.iroot.com whether using my broadband or tethering via my phone.

The pCloud link you posted worked a treat.
Yeah, I'm nto sure what's going on with that site. One minute from a Google search it worked, then the link I posted didn't.

Glad you're sorted now though, have fun.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts