2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I noticed this morning (coldest day of the year!) that my drivers side heated mirror didn't seem to be working very well. After I parked up, I felt them both and the passenger side was noticeably warmer.

Would someone mind checking the voltage and resistance across the element? I'm getting 10.5v (seems low?) and about 14 ohms.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I had the same the other week and asked the same question... When I measured mine with the engine off I had 12v and 11 ohms with the mirror disconnected which at 13w sounded about right. However, unplugging the mirror and then plugging it in again seems to have helped so I am guessing it was a corroded contact issue at the pins on the back of the mirror

Reactions: Starscream

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sounds like the mirror itself is OK then. Hopefully it'll be the same issue and the voltage drop is corrosion rather than low voltage at the pin.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Update - my mirror has now definitely packed in - only a small area by the contacts was defrosting this morning on the drivers side whilst the passenger side was clear.

I'm slightly Worried about the rear demister now as well - it seemed to clear the sides of the window fine but the centre section to ages. Nice neat pattern though so I don't think there is an issue with the foil strips on the window itself...

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is shot after all as well. When I disconnected the wires and tested the resistance, it was about 50ohms and therefore less than 3 watts. The original 14ohms reading was when it was in circuit so the wires must be connected without going through the element.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Another update - just got a new mirror glass (with heater) from ebay for about £7. Resistance was just under 20 ohms but this was for an element that only covered about a quarter of the mirror (a bit dissapointed with that given the OE one had a full coverage element - but the rest of the shape etc. was OK). The old one came off the backing plate reasonably easily by sliding a sharp strong knife under it. Stuck it all on and back together and the new one does seem to be getting nice and warm now where the element is so hopefully the whole mirror will clear (it's warmer than the passenger side anyway - so hope that isn't shot now as well).

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. I was looking at the eBay ones for around that price but I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just get an OE one for 30 quid.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacement turned up today. It was an OE one but used on eBay. Only cost a fiver as no one else bid on it and is the complete unit. Could be a better option for the next person.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Glad I didn't bid on that one then as we would have been bidding against each other !

Figured I wasn't sure how long a second hand one would last.

My cheapie is going back though as only the area of the element clears and I have complained to the seller. Just need to find a decent replacement prior to stripping it again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts