2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a means of incorporating a heated rear element on the plastic part of the rear screen and if so will the plastic be ok with the localised heat build up?

I remember that when heated rear windows werent 'standard' you could get a stick on element. I even remember my Dad/Grandad having a small bar heater on the back screen (Good old Austin Cambridge - it was held on by suckers)!

I have also used element repair paint to mend the the rear heater on an old Metro!

OK To some extent some of the comments posted on another thread are applicable to reducing misting but I think Honda should have provided a viable solution as the plastic part of the screen is signifficant in size/viewing area.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I dont see any real benefit from heating it. I rarely get any moisture on the outside, and it has never misted up on me.

I personally don't think the perspex would like being heated like that, anyway.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I personally don't think the perspex would like being heated like that, anyway.
Perspex! Thats an advanced hydrophobic polymer that will shed water immediately that you're talking about, how very dare you!

In all seriousness though, whether its a height thing, but I tend to use the top screen and rarely look through the plastic, theres not a lot to see. I also noticed the other day when I had the back seats up (footwell was full of bags of apples for the Scrumpy), the seats are exactly level with the spoiler so you can see out of the top portion only and you don't get half of the bottom on show, clever Honda.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
overnight mine doesn't mist on the inside - but does on the outside (no, I haven't got round to doing the rainx yet...:oops: )

A heater element would probably help - but judging from the 'feel' of it when cleaning, I'm not sure it would do the (TTDegs searches for the appropriate word... and gives up) plastic much good :(

But I think I look through it more than I realise.

On the odd occasion when I haven't been able to, I've noticed that I couldn't :)

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Would a bit of anti fog on the outside help ?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
possibly - waiting for a combination of

a) time to do it
b) it to stop raining
c) remembering to do it when a) and b) happen at the same time...:oops:

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
I use Rain X on it and up to now have never noticed it fogging up. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Rain X on it and up to now have never noticed it fogging up. :)
Does the rain X really work? If so, please can you tell me how much does it cost and where can I get it from? Do you use it on just the plastic part of the tailgate or the whole glass rear window as well?

Cheers mate.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Does the rain X really work? If so, please can you tell me how much does it cost and where can I get it from? Do you use it on just the plastic part of the tailgate or the whole glass rear window as well?

Cheers mate.
Hurmund - "the search is your friend" :wink:

yes, overwhelming consensus is that it does work - and there is a whole 2 page thread ongoing about it here -> http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181

:)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Regarding the lower half of the screen, what voltage do PC processor fans operate at, if you could get a 12V version why not mount one in either side of the rear and tap into the heated rear window wire to utilise the same switch as the main one, I realise it will only clear the inside, but I guess if the car is warm enough it migh just heat through a little.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..... I tend to use the top screen and rarely look through the plastic, theres not a lot to see.
I do look through the lower window but find it depends on my seat height - drop it really low and I look like I'm height challenged (not bad adjustment Honda considering I'm over 6ft). normally through the top half (as an asside - if you think visibility is poor with the rear lip - dont fit a lip spoiler!)

Re RainX
yes, overwhelming consensus is that it does work - and there is a whole 2 page thread ongoing about it here -> http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181

:)
Thanks for the link TT - at a show recently and avoided buying the:

"...10 little bottles/sticks of magic thingy-me-bob for the price of.... not 6, not 5 but....." etc etc etc :)

Need to check where its misting - inside or out :oops: (suppose I could always RainX the inside - might stop the kids licking the glass) :D

...only problem is it looks like I'll have to clean the car...:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Regarding the lower half of the screen, what voltage do PC processor fans operate at, if you could get a 12V version why not mount one in either side of the rear and tap into the heated rear window wire to utilise the same switch as the main one, I realise it will only clear the inside, but I guess if the car is warm enough it migh just heat through a little.
:idea: Good idea richierich - I dont fancy cutting my shelf, although I'm sure a couple of enclosures velcro'd to the back shelf would work. And some of those fans are very quiet and shift a high volume of air. mmmmm

I believe there are 12V version - I'm sure I have 5,000rpm gyroscopic-desk vibrating-huricane type somewhere

Need to check exactly what the issue is - it didnt take that long to clear but definately longer than the very slow heated element rear part!! (needs a bit more VA)

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone confirm if Rain X is OK on the advanced pol.....PLASTIC part of the rear window. I have been told by more than one source that its only recommended for glass:?:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have used it on the high-tec space age McPlastic, and it hasn't dissolved, rotted or fallen out, I can't say it has made much difference either though.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Although it may have played a part in my CivInfo sticker coming off........ no it was probably Richie "Arfur" Rich doing his usual half a job again.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
No, what you need to do is drive faster!

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone's still going on about this Rain-EX stuff;

What we need is a Wiper
Agreed - but something tells me they had a problem getting a wiper to go over and around that rear lip/spoiler!
I have used it on the high-tec space age McPlastic, and it hasn't dissolved, rotted or fallen out, I can't say it has made much difference either though.
A friend of mine who has used Rain X for several years claims that in winter (cold and wet) it leaves a milky deposit in the morning until the car has warmed up a bit - anybody experienced this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts