2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I-Vtec... Do you?
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per thread title, has anyone got any ideas on what it could be? I have ordered some new mirror glasses to try I was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and it's something more technical or simple just new heated mirror glasses?
My rear window heaters work as I guess they work on same circuit so I've ruled out a fuse before checking please correct me if I'm wrong
Any feedback would be great
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

·
JPP
1,555 Posts
Check the glass has the wires connected in the mirror housing...

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Had this with my right hand mirror recently - there is a thread somehwere. Basically I took the glass out and then checked there was voltage at the connections using a multimeter. There was so that ruled out that side of things. I then looked at the resistance across the mirror heating element when disconnected and from memory it was around 12 ohms or similar so that seemed to be OK. I plugged it all back in and it worked fine for a day or so (probably because i'd re-made the connections) but then I found it gave up completely. the connections to the heating element are pretty fragile so pack in eventually and, because the elements are stuck to the mirror glas the elements alone can't really be replaced. I therefore ended up replacing the whole mirror glass and element with one from ebay for about £10. I initially tried a cheaper option but the element on it was tiny and didn't cover the full glass area meaning it didn't really defrost properly. The new one from a different supplier is much better.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Had this with my right hand mirror recently - there is a thread somehwere. Basically I took the glass out and then checked there was voltage at the connections using a multimeter. There was so that ruled out that side of things. I then looked at the resistance across the mirror heating element when disconnected and from memory it was around 12 ohms or similar so that seemed to be OK. I plugged it all back in and it worked fine for a day or so (probably because i'd re-made the connections) but then I found it gave up completely. the connections to the heating element are pretty fragile so pack in eventually and, because the elements are stuck to the mirror glas the elements alone can't really be replaced. I therefore ended up replacing the whole mirror glass and element with one from ebay for about £10. I initially tried a cheaper option but the element on it was tiny and didn't cover the full glass area meaning it didn't really defrost properly. The new one from a different supplier is much better.
Would you be able to link to supplier? My right hand one has also gone.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Would you be able to link to supplier? My right hand one has also gone.
The outfit that had a decent sized heating element was Carparts4u-2013:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/carparts4u2013/

The glass I went for was wide angle aspherical and nis slightly different to the OE but OK.

The supplier that had a small heating element (which I wouldn't recommend despite them being good to respond to my issue and giving me a full refund) was hightechpl.

Reactions: jordanp123

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you find out what the issue was. I currently have a 2010 MK8 Civic and i have tested both mirrors for continuity but and they are fine. But i do not have 12v at the connectors behind the mirror. The rear screen defrosts perfectly fine. I dont know what else to check. Has anyone come across this before?

·
i-Vtec
3,322 Posts
Have you tested for 12v at the plug that connects from the body loom to the Mirror? You will need to remove the door card to do this.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I reckon Das is on to a winner here, also check for missing pins within the plug itself... they can fall out while unplugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts