2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Would it be just as good to drain the coolant entirely and replace? Could probably do with it..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If the radiator is getting hot and the engine is not overheating that would rule out a failed water pump. The temp gauge sit just below the half on the dash?
Yeah, the gauge sits just under half way.

·
Super Moderator
4,525 Posts
I may be talking utter nonsense but doesn't the thermostat release coolant to flow round the heating circuit once engine is up to temp?
could that the source of the problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,859 Posts
I may be talking utter nonsense but doesn't the thermostat release coolant to flow round the heating circuit once engine is up to temp?
could that the source of the problem?
thats what the thermostat does yes keeps closed till warm
but if it was stuck the car would overheat as the water would not be circulating its not just the heater it releases water to

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thats what the thermostat does yes keeps closed till warm
but if it was stuck the car would overheat as the water would not be circulating its not just the heater it releases water to
Based on this, is checking for an airlock at the heater core the next best troubleshooting?
It's going to be a stretch to get to the pipes reliably enough to ensure they connect again after checking!!

Thanks for your great advice so far!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After an hour's drive I had a good look around the Cooling pipes, of the two pipes going to the heater core, only the bottom pipe is hot. The top pipe is cold to touch. Guessing that means blockage either of air or debris?
Is it worth trying to squeeze the pipes after warming her up when leaving the rad cap off?
Is there anything more to consider when trying this?
(I don't have any means to jack the car or hose pipe I'm afraid)
Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. Cheers.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts