2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have the dreaded heater problem where the heating in the car works fine for around 30 mins then blows cold unless I turn the heating up to HI then it blows at around 7000° and melts your face off...... I do not use the AC or Auto function and only realy use it manually. I have tried the Wiki diagnostic but seem to get wierd readings in that the temp on the left of the digital display flashes, then i press the rear window/mirror button, the temp on the right flashes, then after pressing the button again they go blank, then more figures and during this the blower is picjing up speed and throwing out heat then slowing etc.

I will record it and add to the thread

Advice please.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Even if you are using manual settings for the heater it still relies on the temperature set. The heater will still cut out when the cabin temperature is correct, annoying I know. Its even worse when its sunny as the sun sensor starts turning the heat down.

If you turn the temperature up a couple of degrees warm air should start flowing again or try covering the sun sensor and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've tested my climate control several times and never seen the display you posted. My car is the basic 09 1.4 so the system may be different. What year and model is yours?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Even if you are using manual settings for the heater it still relies on the temperature set. The heater will still cut out when the cabin temperature is correct, annoying I know. Its even worse when its sunny as the sun sensor starts turning the heat down.

If you turn the temperature up a couple of degrees warm air should start flowing again or try covering the sun sensor and see if that makes any difference.
Surely if the systems on manual and set to say, 22 degrees, then the air should blow out at 22 degrees no matter what the temperature is in the cabin or whether or not the sun is shining. Those factors only come into play when the system is on auto.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
353 Posts
Surely if the systems on manual and set to say, 22 degrees, then the air should blow out at 22 degrees no matter what the temperature is in the cabin or whether or not the sun is shining. Those factors only come into play when the system is on auto.

Mine doesnt seem to work that way, the air cools down the same as in auto. Manual settings only adjust air flow and fan speed, unless I am operating it incorrectly. How do you switch yours to manual heating?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without seeing what buttons you are pressing it is a bit hard.

I am yet to do the Climate Control Diagnostic Test so I can't say if it is normal.

I am pressing the mirror/rear window heater button

·
Registered
353 Posts
Without seeing what buttons you are pressing it is a bit hard.

I am yet to do the Climate Control Diagnostic Test so I can't say if it is normal.

I am pressing the mirror/rear window heater button
Did you start the engine as stated in the WIKI before releasing the Auto & Mode buttons. Just tried mine and the test reset to normal. If you release the buttons without starting the engine the display flashes 1 & a number, pressing the mirror/rear window button moves the test on with 2 & a number flashing.

Give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Mine doesnt seem to work that way, the air cools down the same as in auto. Manual settings only adjust air flow and fan speed, unless I am operating it incorrectly. How do you switch yours to manual heating?
AFAIK when you press the auto button, the climate control goes into 'Full Auto' mode (although it will just say 'Auto' on the screen. It automatically controls everything; fan speed, air temp, air distribution and AC.

If you change either the AC or air distribution then the system will switch to 'Auto' mode (although the 'Auto' will disappear from the display). It will no longer automatically control the AC or air distribution, depending on which one you changed, but will still control the air temp and fan speed.

If you change the fan speed, it will release control of everything and go into 'Manual' mode.

At least that's how mine appears to work. I have mine in auto 99% of the time so not sure how it works in manual mode but i would have thought if you set it to a certain temperature, it should blow out at that temperature. Seems like a design flaw by Honda if it doesn't :/

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dodger, yes did it as per the wiki. I do have an aftermarket double din headunit installed so suppose that could be messing with the display. Could you film yours and post by any chance?

·
Registered
353 Posts
AFAIK when you press the auto button, the climate control goes into 'Full Auto' mode (although it will just say 'Auto' on the screen. It automatically controls everything; fan speed, air temp, air distribution and AC.

If you change either the AC or air distribution then the system will switch to 'Auto' mode (although the 'Auto' will disappear from the display). It will no longer automatically control the AC or air distribution, depending on which one you changed, but will still control the air temp and fan speed.

If you change the fan speed, it will release control of everything and go into 'Manual' mode.

At least that's how mine appears to work. I have mine in auto 99% of the time so not sure how it works in manual mode but i would have thought if you set it to a certain temperature, it should blow out at that temperature. Seems like a design flaw by Honda if it doesn't :/

Thats how I set mine up for manual operation. Went on a 20 mile journey with the fan set on '3', air to the footwell and temperature on 22. The air temperature at the outlet had definitely reduced by a considerable amount at the end of the journey, which leads me to believe even in manual the temperature knob is controlling cabin temperature.

Quite it seems like a design flaw.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dodger, yes did it as per the wiki. I do have an aftermarket double din headunit installed so suppose that could be messing with the display. Could you film yours and post by any chance?
I'll have ago but not sure how successful I will be as I have never tried it before.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Mine seems to work like this too. I find it really annoying. I can have it set on auto at 26 degrees and it can blow cool air even though theres no way the interior temp is 26. Only way to get it warm is by setting it to Hi :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts