2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 diesel es civic. I had the aircon regassed in the summer and it blows ice cold. Now we're in the depths of winter it is taking about 10 miles of driving before the car interior gets warm on these cold morning!!
I had a 3 series BMW before this car and this would be warm inside within 2 miles.
Any suggestions of anything I could do myself to rectify this problem?

Thanks

Lee

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
Diesel's do take alot longer to get up to temperature than petrols mate

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
BMW use electric heaters until the engine coolant is hot enough to take over. Something that should be fitted to every car imo.

But as said above, diesels take considerably longer to heat up anyway.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Should never had sold the beemer!!!
I'm quite the opposite. Strayed from Honda and bought an e46. Worst decision I ever made. Straight back to Honda at earliest convenience.

BMW - Break My Wallet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've got a 2006 diesel es civic. I had the aircon regassed in the summer and it blows ice cold. Now we're in the depths of winter it is taking about 10 miles of driving before the car interior gets warm on these cold morning!!
I had a 3 series BMW before this car and this would be warm inside within 2 miles.
Any suggestions of anything I could do myself to rectify this problem?

Thanks

Lee
You could try blanking part of the radiator off. There was a post and discussion on here a couple of weeks ago. Results looked favourable, as I remember.
My 2.2 is the same, poor heater output until I've covered 10 miles or so.
Even then, it's far from brilliant.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
There could be an issue with the coolant thermostat, meaning that the coolant is taking longer to get up to temp. There was a thread about this (as man shed says) but not sure if there were any results.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
There could be an issue with the coolant thermostat, meaning that the coolant is taking longer to get up to temp. There was a thread about this (as man shed says) but not sure if there were any results.
This sounds like the most likely cause. Radiator shielding should not make any difference as coolant should not flow through the radiator until its temperature approaches standard engine operating temperature.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The grill block works amazingly well. Definitely recommend it. Do a search for grill block. There's results in there.
The "problem" of so many people suffering cold kinda suggests it's not just a batch of thermostats gone :) btw the grill block is mine. I'm getting warm within 5 min now. Super!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts