2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I've had a problem with the thermometer and heater in my 2009 Type R over the past week or so.

It started with the thermometer reading crazy figures (30C+) in the cold weather. It now reads 55C every time I drive it after about 15 minutes. To compound that the heater only seems to work on full blast or not at all. It's strange. Not what you want when it's not been above -2C for a month or so!

I had a feeling the two issues were maybe linked so I sent it to the dealer and they say there's a fault with a sensor so it's booked in for Tuesday to get it replaced. The two do seem to be linked as I thought but it's kind of annoying.

Has anyone else had this? Did the replacement / work sort the problem out?

This is on top of the oil sensor which went at 3k miles or so. So much for "Honda reliability"?

Andy

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Your Ambient (external) air temperature sensor has failed. Honda had problems with this last year when my local dealers changed 20 in 3 months.

It tells the Climate Control what the outside temperature is so that it can anticipate what to do to control the cabin temperature. Hence it blows cold air in because it thinks it is 55'c outside.

Short term way around this is to set the cabin temp to max "Hi" and manually adjust the fan speed down to control cabin temp.

Ultimately you need get the sensor changed, but it is a warranty item.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye, it's working ok on Hi so I am just using that. It's so cold at the moment anyway the hassle isn't really a problem as it's on Hi nearly all the time. The only thing is the minute I get too hot I have to drop it to 28, then it get cold very quickly and from that point on I'm constantly changing the heater for the rest of the journey.

But it's not great to have this kind of bother already.

It's going in to get fixed on Tuesday anyway so it's not the end of the world.

·
Administrator
21,165 Posts
You haven't got some ice or snow jammed up behind the front number plate have you?

We've had a few reports of a similar problem to yours which sorted itself once the temperature increased.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have exactly the same problem http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-f...imate-control-linked-outside-temp-sensor.html.

My local dealer (Blackpool) was "surprised" that my sensor had broken as he had never heard about it, consequently I have to take it in next week and leave it for the day, just for them to confirm that the 55C reading is erroneuous and order in a new part, for the car to go in AGAIN and be fixed.

Having said that, you're talking to a previous Alfa Romeo owner here - so "Honda Reliability" is still maintained in my opinion.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer called me about 2hrs after the car was dropped off to them saying they'd found the fault.

Strange that you place are so arsey about it...

It's definitely not working. Warmer today and it's still as bad, if not worse. Goes in tomorrow so it should be sorted by the next time I drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem, driving home car said 55C and now my climate control has 2 settings 16-28 = freezing cold or HI = boiling hot. took it to dealer this morning and now booked in for replacement sensor friday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone had this sorted yet? Do you know if replacing the external temperature sensor corrects the fault with the climate control?

I only picked my car up yesterday and it is already booked in to go back to the dealer!!!! I thought Hondas were normally bullet proof?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Hmm seems like its becoming common.....

My 06 plate did this now the snow has melted... 55C at 8 am in Swindon....
Left at work all day and its showing 22C on the way home...real temp is nearer 8-10C

Now i have complained about the aircon being all over the place since having the car at 3 months old .......its now out of warranty...but as this seems to be a faulty part what`s the chances of Honda covering it....??

Anyone know what it costs to get it done ?
Looks like the whole bumber needs to come off.....

:confused:

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I've just got back from my local Honda garage, and they have determined that it needs a new temperature sensor :rolleyes:

So I have now got to wait while they order the part and then book it back in again; I just love having my time wasted :banghead:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
The sensor is £40.07 plus about an hour labour, so about £135.00 I think.:(

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The sensor is £40.07 plus about an hour labour, so about £135.00 I think.:(
Interesting... i was quoted today £36 for the sensor and 1/2 hour to fit....total £86

So thats £100/hour labour :confused:

What annoys me most is that i have had several issues with the aircon reported in warranty that suggest the sensor was flakey but nothing...

The car needs another service i was going to book it in, but now as its out of warranty i`m getting fed up with the greed....

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Mine developed these two faults last week (outer temp & cold aircon) and have been meaning to go to Honda. I am now glad that it seems the two are link. has anyone now had there's fix and was it just the outside sensor. (plus if possible the price for the repair)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmm... Mine just developed this fault today, it's worrying to see that the reading is so high, time to see my dealer :/ how many years warranty does a brand new car have again? 3 years?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Hmm my sensor fixed itself today ???

Reading 7c today and not 55c as it has all week ????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts