2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear members,

I want to tell you about my current problem. I have a civic from 2008 (1.4 engine) where it's "heating climate control" is not working properly.

While the engine is cold, the temperature inside the car is ok. But as soon as the engine reaches it's normal temperature, the car starts to look like a sauna - specially if I am driving on the highway.

Back in 2010 , for the 30000 km maintenance, I complained about a "knocking" noise that was comming from the heater/radio/ventilation system but the Honda dealership in Brussels ignored it/wasn't able to reproduce the noite.
A year later, just a day or two after the warranty ended - as the car is from March - we went for the 40000km maintenance and complained once again. As in 2010, no action from the dealershop.

Now, at the end of 2011, this problem started.
We complained immediatly to the dealership, and NOW [smilie=confuzzled.:they know where the noise comes from. Today, they just proposed something like "you pay 620 € and we pay the rest of the cost, together with the Brand headquartes por Belgium".

First of all, I would like to know if any other members had this problem. If yes, how did you guys solved this imbroglio? I am really disappointed with Honda, because I feel that just "1 day" after the warranty expired, the car is starting to give troubles. And I only drove 45555 km with it (+-28000 miles)! I am scared with what will happen to the car when I arrive to 100000 km...
Even the guys from the dealership told me that this is extremely rare!

So, I am not sure if I am going to accept the proposition from Honda but I am afraid that a multi-brands garage for instance is unable to do it.

And I think, that this "fanstatic" part of heating system, can be easily accessible by the central console of the car (you know, where the radio "descends" to the gearbox).

So what do you think ? Is there a DIY solution ?
Am I having the right reaction or is it just a lost cause and I really must go to Honda?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Happy New Year.

TieDefender

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, I have not heard of this, in fact our 1.4 takes quite a while (about 4-5 miles driving) to warm up, and has never got like a sauna inside. Have they explained what the actual problem is and the component/s involved? The fact that you reported a problem with the heating / climate control a long time ago,whilst in warranty,(despite them not fixing it), I would have thought, means Honda (Belgium) should be footing the bill now, in full. Now,if the same happened to ours at this point ( 5 1/2 yrs old with 33,000miles), I would expect to have to either DIY, or pay someone to fix it ......In your case, I think your dealership and Honda are being extremely blinkered and unreasonable TBH. Good Luck. Hope this comes to a sensible conclusion.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Do you know if the Honda dealer has put the climate control system through a test at all?? ive just had a look throught the service manual in the supporters section of the forum and it looks like Honda can connect into the data system, then put the climate control into a self test. from this they can they trace down the fault from an error code. Personally i would want this done so that they can come back to you and say they have pinpointed the fault to a known item, ie the temp control sensor or the in car temp sensor!! I'd rather do that than have them say it could be this or that and it's not in the end.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,557 Posts
Not the first time I've heard of a dealer, not necessarily Honda, can't find a problem until it's your turn to pay.

·
Registered
607 Posts
By saying "the car starts to look like a sauna" do you mean that it steams the windows up badly ??

If so perhaps the problem is with the fresh air / re-circulated air flap in the heater. Maybe this is stuck in the re-circ position so you are just using the stale air in the car ? This may have been the source of the noise when the flap originally failed/jammed.

Maybe someone on here can show where the heater is located and how to check if the flap is working or not.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
By saying "the car starts to look like a sauna" do you mean that it steams the windows up badly ??

If so perhaps the problem is with the fresh air / re-circulated air flap in the heater. Maybe this is stuck in the re-circ position so you are just using the stale air in the car ? This may have been the source of the noise when the flap originally failed/jammed.

Maybe someone on here can show where the heater is located and how to check if the flap is working or not.

Good luck.
Some info here, but not sure if it helps... Climate Control - Civinfo Wiki

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did some tests

Some info here, but not sure if it helps... Climate Control - Civinfo Wiki
Well, I did the auto+mode plus turn the key and I got the following codes:

1st sensor: Cabin temperature C = 14
2nd sensor: Exterior temperature C = 10
3rd sensor: Solar radiation sensor value (Dark=00, Flashlight=04, Cloudy=10, Sunny=65) = 02
4th sensor: Temperature of the air exiting the air conditioning evaporator C = 14
5th sensor: Drivers air mix opening (low value indicates cooler air distribution, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) % open = F0
6th sensor: Passenger air mix opening (low value indicates cooler air distribution, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) % open = 00
7th sensor: Mode positioning % open = 00
8th sensor: recirc flap % open. = 00
9th sensor: vent output air temperature C = 48

From the second test,
Ignition OFF
Press and hold down the Auto and Recirculation buttons
Ignition into II position
Release the buttons

I have only 88 as result, so in theory no error there.:popcorn2:

So, from my tests, the only bizarre one is F0. Does anybody knows what this code represents?

Best regards.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, I did the auto+mode plus turn the key and I got the following codes:

1st sensor: Cabin temperature C = 14
2nd sensor: Exterior temperature C = 10
3rd sensor: Solar radiation sensor value (Dark=00, Flashlight=04, Cloudy=10, Sunny=65) = 02
4th sensor: Temperature of the air exiting the air conditioning evaporator C = 14
5th sensor: Drivers air mix opening (low value indicates cooler air distribution, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) % open = F0
6th sensor: Passenger air mix opening (low value indicates cooler air distribution, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) % open = 00
7th sensor: Mode positioning % open = 00
9th sensor: vent output air temperature C = 48

From the second test,
Ignition OFF
Press and hold down the Auto and Recirculation buttons
Ignition into II position
Release the buttons

I have only 88 as result, so in theory no error there.:popcorn2:

So, from my tests, the only bizarre one is F0. Does anybody knows what this code represents?

Best regards.
This indicates the flap is fully open and is pumping hot air into the cabin. This could be the problem as I thought it might be starting to close with the small difference between cabin and exterior temperatures.

Try the test again and when checking the 5th sensor turn the temperature dial and see if the FO remains or changes. You wont be able to see the temperature selected so give dial a good turn in both directions.

Incidently what temperature do you set, try turning to the LO setting and see if ambient air comes out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear Dodger, here goes the new results:
1st sensor: Cabin temperature C = 24
2nd sensor: Exterior temperature C = 16
4th sensor: Temperature of the air exiting the air conditioning evaporator C = 26
5th sensor: Drivers air mix opening (low value indicates cooler air distribution, higher value indicates warmer air distribution) % open = d9
7th sensor: Mode positioning % open = F0
9th sensor: vent output air temperature C = 02

Thus, I checked the 5th sensor that equalled d9. As I played with the temperature control this value evolved up until FO, but never to LO.

When I increase the temperature to the maximum, I can hear the "gearworks" inside working. When I set to the minimum, they also work but do much less noise. Playing around with MODE and with the temperature, it's when I put the temperature around 21/22° (low +- 17°, then hi +- 28°), that I hear more strong noises, suggestion that there is something stuck on the inside or that simply that that part isn't working properly.

Another thing that hits is the difference between the two results of the 9Th sensor, but maybe it did that, because on my first test I remember the air was coming hot from the vents and now it was fresh.

Does any of you have a complete "instructions" manual on how to get to this part to have a closer look?:popcorn:

Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi, tiedefender

Just tested my sytsem again and the result were broadly similar to both your tests and all of previous test allowing for variations for ambient, cabin and engine temperatures.

I think the d9 reading for sensor 5 indicates the flap is set for ambient air. I had to turn the temperature control right down and the air flow change from the footwell to centre console.

Therefore I think your control unit is working correctly.

I believe you are correct in your conclusion to sensor 9 as mine gives similar results.

I cant hear any noises as I alter my temerature control and I am wondering if your problem is simply the air temperature flap is disconnected from the motor. I was told by a Honda Service Manager that the mixing control flap are now motor controlled and not cable as in the good old days.

I cannot see how to gain access to the control flaps but it looks as though you have to remove quite a bit of the interior panels in the footwell. Prehaps someone out there could enlighten us.

I may have mislead you a bit with the LO setting. On my car if I turn the temperature control down in normal mode the display reduces to 16 and the LO. The manual states this produces ambient air without any temperature control.

I reckon that if you thoroughly warm the cabin and the turn the temperature control right down you should see the air flow change from the footwell to the centre console and the air should be at ambient temperature. It may take a couple of minutes to cool down. If there air remains hot it supports my theory of a disconnected flap.

Good luck & best regards

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
33% is ok i guess, honda brussels is also my dealership. I will have my car serviced there this month. I also have to inquire about a 'fix' they did last service which didnt get fixed at all yet they charged me for it. They were going to call me next day (364 days ago) :popcorn2:
Good to hear your airco is working again, i bet you've been suffering a bit with the recent hot temperatures!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.