2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anyone have any issues with heating on their civic mines a 2.2d 59reg it takes forever for the heaters to blow hot it mostly blows warm... Cold is great... Doesn't use water any helpwould be great

·
Registered
64 Posts
Diesel engine very efficient , so it takes a long drive to warm the car up. I have a sport grille on my 2.2 and I have half the radiator blanked off using cardboard sheet between the radiator and AC matrix. Warms much quicker than unblanked and the rad fans rarely (if ever) run, and very quiet when they do. Instrument temp indicator is not accurate but always two marks below halfway. In the summer, using OBD the coolant temp did not go above 87c.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi anyone have any issues with heating on their civic mines a 2.2d 59reg it takes forever for the heaters to blow hot it mostly blows warm... Cold is great... Doesn't use water any helpwould be great
I’ve noticed this recently with my 57 1.8. Temp gauge rises but takes a long time to actually blow hot air

·
i-Vtec
3,830 Posts
Personally id change the thermostat, but there was a post lately where is shows that Diesel stat opens at 76C which is terribly low, the Petrol is only 82c. Also bare in mind that if you use the climate control the fans will run on and off so that will cool the coolant in the system too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally id change the thermostat, but there was a post lately where is shows that Diesel stat opens at 76C which is terribly low, the Petrol is only 82c. Also bare in mind that if you use the climate control the fans will run on and off so that will cool the coolant in the system too.
Thermostat change is what I’m thinking. The wife’s 1.8 si blows hot air in less than half the time that mine does

·
i-Vtec
3,830 Posts
No doubt to ensure they don't overheat
Yea but 76 is really really low. The Vauxhall 1.8VVt, z18xer, runs 103c before the stat opens.
Thermostat change is what I’m thinking. The wife’s 1.8 si blows hot air in less than half the time that mine does
Everyone says Diesels take a long time to warm up, but I know a lot of Diesel Vectra owners who said the same, then once they changed the stat found a huge improvement in heater temp. Thermostats fail open these days to prevent overheating, the down side is they are open all the time. A lot of cars have electronic stats and on demand electric water pumps. The quicker an engine heats up the more efficient it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ve ordered a thermostat for £9 from ecp.
just been out in the wife’s 1.8 and it was blowing warm air with the coolant temp needle still on minimum. My 1.8 doesn’t blow hot air until 5mins after the coolant temp is at operating temp. Should be an easy fix for tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
dont worry about it
the 2.2 does take very long time to warm up
1 winter we had mine running for 45 mins before it got warm enough to do the mot correctly

·
i-Vtec
3,830 Posts
My 1.8 heats up quite quick. Tonight in the time it took to scrape the windows you could feel the heat coming from the vents after only a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I’ve noticed this recently with my 57 1.8. Temp gauge rises but takes a long time to actually blow hot air
The 1.8 pumps out hot air fast...

Even now when it's near freezing outside, you can usually feel warm air after under a mile. Literally a few mins later it'll be as hot as you'll want.

If your water temp rises fast then maybe it's the air flow to the cabin? I just leave mine on Auto but set it to the desired temperature, AC off mostly at the mo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Fn2 is the same, heater never gets hot just lukewarm no matter how long you drive for, it’s brass monkeys in there at minute 🥶

·
Registered
530 Posts
Drove to work this morning at 5am, the 1.8 was pumping out luke warm air before I even de iced the car completely and was already warm after a mile. Was hot shortly after.

Good enough for me not to really want heated seats...

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have a 1.8. My one goes full blast hot air within 3 minutes. I always have it on auto between 20-23.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
4,681 Posts
My 1.5T blows hot air PDQ. But that is totally irrelevant to the OPs 'problem' as he has the 2.2d.
Having said that, I have previously owned two 2.2 diesel Accords, both of which took an age to start producing warm air, but they did get hot eventually after about 5-6 miles.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Might just be a diesel thing...

The work Astra are all DERV and sometimes they'll never go past the bottom of the gauge when simply idling and it takes miles to just get some warmth into the cabin. Even when fully operational it won't be all hat warm compared to my Civic which needs to be turned down after awhile or it becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
657 Posts
In my experience diesels just take longer to heat in general

1.5 3 cylinder ford I had heated up so rapidly quicker than any other car I had

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve ordered a thermostat for £9 from ecp.
just been out in the wife’s 1.8 and it was blowing warm air with the coolant temp needle still on minimum. My 1.8 doesn’t blow hot air until 5mins after the coolant temp is at operating temp. Should be an easy fix for tomorrow
Hi Iceman, did your new thermostat fix the problem? I have a similar problem on my 1.8 but I don't seem to get anything other than cold air even after driving for 30mins and the engine temp is half way up the dial and stable after only a few mins. I don't suppose you could check the heater hoses on your car(s) after idling for a few minutes or a drive and compare how hot they are to the top rad hose could you? My two heater hoses only ever get very slightly warm (way below the top rad hose and similar to the lower rad hose after the thermostat has opened). Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Iceman, did your new thermostat fix the problem? I have a similar problem on my 1.8 but I don't seem to get anything other than cold air even after driving for 30mins and the engine temp is half way up the dial and stable after only a few mins. I don't suppose you could check the heater hoses on your car(s) after idling for a few minutes or a drive and compare how hot they are to the top rad hose could you? My two heater hoses only ever get very slightly warm (way below the top rad hose and similar to the lower rad hose after the thermostat has opened). Cheers
Erm yeah, about that.. my coolant was low 😬🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 23 Posts