2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a post to say hello to everyone. I am changing my focus later this year(for 58 reg) and i am currently test driving a number of cars:

focus
Golf
peugeot 308
Civic 1.8
and BMW 1 series.

the only car I haven;t driven yet is the Beamer. but so far the Civic impresses me most. I only do 12000 miles a year so It's the petrol option i am looking at.
The only thing that is putting me off a bit at the moment is the tales of woe on here about quality issues and paintwork but I guess people only post the problems and don;t post when they are satisfied. Brilliant forum with lots of useful info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I only do about 12k miles a year so will take a long time to see any saving especially with the widening gap between unleaded and diesel and the extra cost of buying the 2.2.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Welcome!

Have a look at the satisfaction survey.
Most of us are satisfied.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/survey.php

Several of us chose between the Civic and the 1-series.
For same performance and options you need to pay a LOT more for a 1-series, I calculated around 50% more to match a 1,8 EX.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the "heads up" on the survey-i feel much happier having seen that-in fact most of the results are quite impressive. Appreciate your help -still finding my way round the site.

I agree the BMW looks expensive-can you believe the basic model comes without alloys or air-con. Anyway we'll have a look at it if only to eliminate it-don't buy a new car every day so want to make the right decision.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Welcome..Interesting list there.
IMO..Get the Civic OR the BMW but in diesel.
Having driven the 1.8..I couldnt live with the lack of power.
The diesel in fast and frugal..but costs more to buy. Fuel costs more but does much better on consumption.
The BMW is a well made car but its expensive to buy and run, service costs at BMW dealerships are rediculous
Peugeot...Dont know...Its french!!
Golf...Good but theres a new model out soon
Focus..Again good but loses on depreciation, BUT is cheap to run and handles well
Good luck

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Take the spec from your chosen Civic and use the B*W site to build your 1 series up to the same spec level.

Then ensure you are seated before hitting the final price calculation :D

Additionally have a look at the 3 year residual prices. The 1 series is no longer that attractive when compared to the Civic's residuals.

In my opinion B*W seem to think that in the main all we want in a car is a blue and white badge and a speedo. It wasn't that long ago that a radio wasn't standard in them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hadn;t considered the diesel.

When I drove the 1.8 I thought the power was great with good pickup particularly from 4000rpm and a wide spread of power-but then I am coming from a 1.6 petrol focus with 100bhp so it's a 40% increase in power for me-i suppose it's relative to what you've been used to!

I agree about the cost of the BMW I think it will cost me about £20k when the similarly specced civic will be £15-16-I don;t expect to be impressed with the BMW as the interior and boot space I think is a lot less than the superb Civic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts