2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Salman and I am from Coventry. I have recently bought a 2007 (57 plate) Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel. It is running well but have a few issues with it which need sorting out. It has done 92000 miles with full service history. It is NHB colour.

I have absolutely no know-how about the mechanical aspects but from reading on this great website, I think the car will benefit from the following:

1) EGR valve cleaning (there is no fault light). I think it struggles a bit around 1500rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears.

2) Hissing wind noise heard in the cabin at speeds of +50 mph. I have read on here that it might be either from the lower end of the windscreen or the side mirrors. Could it also be due to the pollen filter?

Anyway, I was wondering if you good people could tell me about any mechanics/enthusiasts near Coventry/Birmingham area with a good knowledge of dealing with Hondas. I have spoken with Listers Honda and their quotes are absolutely unreasonable to be frank.

Thanks a lot again for your help and this great website; I have already learnt a lot in a short time but unfortunately have neither the expertise nor the tools to do any mechanical work myself.

Best regards,
Salman

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

Sorry to hear that you have some niggles to resolve, i hope you get these sorted.

1) the EGR valve might be an issue and a clean wouldn't hurt. However also consider the fuel filter, when was it last changed?

Only use genuine Honda air/fuel filters, they're fickle beasts.

Meanwhile enjoy the torques in your starship

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure when the fuel filter was changed. I am planning on having a full/major service. Listers Honda are quoting £455 for these:

"This service includes a full inspection and adjustments, New Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Screen Wash, Pollen Filter, Air Filter, Brake Fluid, Gearbox Oil and a Fuel Filter."

Is this a reasonable price? Or will Halfords major service (using genuine Honda parts for £300) be equally good? At 92000 miles, what else really needs changing (in addition to: engine oil and oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, coolant etc.)?

And is it safe to have the EGR valve cleaned by an independent garage. Listers Honda have quoted £76 excluding the new gasket!

Thanks again for your help :)

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
The Civinfo Wiki contains lots of useful info e.g.

Maintenance Schedule - Civinfo Wiki

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Service_Cost - although these prices may be somewhat out of date by now. A good starting point for your further research tho.

Check the Cox website for the cost of service items, we get a discount with them ;-) http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cox-motor-parts/108055-loyalty-scheme.html

Anyone with a spanner can clean an EGR valve, but they're expensive if they break and need replacing...

·
Redline Monster
1,576 Posts
Hello Salman & welcome to Civinfo

Reactions: salmanbodla

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Hello and Welcome

Reactions: salmanbodla
1 - 13 of 13 Posts