2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Signed up to this forum prior to purchasing my 1.8L Type S GT just after Christmas. Can’t believe I persisted with my old 1.2L Polo for so long, but had my civic a nearly 2 weeks now & I’m absolutely made up with it :D

I qualified as a physiotherapist in 2011 & I’m currently working privately in the community (Preston/Chorley), which involves a combination of motorway & city driving… love the look of the civic, but economy is important to me given the travelling I do. I’m currently averaging 40-45mpg ( albeit driving like an OAP :cool: ), so wouldn’t want to make too many changes to sacrifice fuel efficiency. Sad, I know, but for the time being, that’s where I’m at.

Having cast eyes on many of the mod projects on here, however, I can’t help but envying you guys massively. Some of the motors on here are truly stunning & have already put ideas into my head… shame on you all ;)

So here’s my “to-do list”, with styling being my #1 priority at present:
  • Carbon fibre bonnet wrap – vinyl ordered ✔
  • Replace Perspex front grill with Type R/stealth grill
  • Ambient footwell lights (undecided on colour)
  • SPI Vision headlight tint
  • ? lower the suspension - eibach springs seem to be a popular, value for money option
  • ? fit K&N 57i Induction Kit

What sort of impact would the latter, performance-related changes have on economy?
Would you guys recommend replacing the shocks at the same time as the springs? If so, I can see it being an expensive job as I assume the alignment will need re-setting too? :(

Finally, I’m slightly confused by what I’ve read about induction kits... performance-filters.co.uk claim “More Air = More Oxygen = More Power = Better MPG”, however I’ve read on here that fuel consumption goes up… as you’ve probably established already, I know diddly about cars, so which is the case? Did you boys suddenly develop “lead-foot syndrome” due to the orgasmic sound these kits produce, or will I genuinely get improved MPG if I continue to drive in the same manner? :confused:

Finally, just wanted to say that whilst I’ve only been using Civinfo for a short while, it has to be one of the friendliest & most helpful forums I’ve come across. Every credit.

I look forward to your replies!
Cheers, Dan.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dan. You won't need to change the shocks with the springs unless they are worn out. Aem filter is much better than the k+n. Have fun buddy there's so much info here it's unreal :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Cheers fella! I'd obviously be getting someone else to sort the suspension, but I don't suppose there's an easy way a novice like me could check if the shocks are worn out or not, is there? :p hadn't really considered an AEM filter so guess I've got some research to do.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan.
Nice to see another member from the Preston area.
As already mentioned the K & N filter doesn't improve performance but can made it sound better!
Deffo recommend the eibach springs-they do improve both the ride & the handling-looks better lowered as well.
If you want your suspension sorting I can greatly recommend Stevie at Grinspeed in Leyland-top bloke who really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the forum Dan.
Nice to see another member from the Preston area.
As already mentioned the K & N filter doesn't improve performance but can made it sound better!
Deffo recommend the eibach springs-they do improve both the ride & the handling-looks better lowered as well.
If you want your suspension sorting I can greatly recommend Stevie at Grinspeed in Leyland-top bloke who really knows his stuff.
Nice one Phil! Ride is a little stiff at the moment.. whilst it's something I can live with, the suspension's definitely something I'll be looking in to, so ta for the recommendation dude! ;) Hope you dont mind me asking, but if I was to get hold of the springs online, roughly how much are we talking to get them fitted & the alignment checked? Any idea? Thanks again mate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts