2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Just joind the site well impressed
Took delivery of 1.8 i vtech ishift yesterday so far really pleased.Finaly let the the rover75 go quite sad really had it for over 4 years but sitting in the civic is really out of this world so many gizzmos mind blowing
Any info on using the ishift would be more than welcome as it is quite different from the rover auto box,seems to lag going from first to second but maybe thats just me
Thanks
lennie.c :D

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Hi Lennie thats now two of us moved from 75s to Civics! On the 75, I don't thnk that any car comes near it for comfort but the Civic makes up for it in performance and gizmos :D :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Thanks for the reply had a look at the link re.the ishift and yes that helped a lot
Oh and the colour is alabaster silver looks really nice will be a regular reader of the forum

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Welcome lennie.c . No idea about i.shift, but a great car. Sorry about your poor choice of colour. Vote black in the poll !!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Just done 400+ miles and ready to fill her up so probably a reasonable time to give some more feedback on the car and the i-shift

Fuel Economy - Mpg as registered by the car is 40.8 not bad as I have the climate control on auto all the time and sat with the engine running not going anywhere for about half an hour when I first got it to get familiar wth everything (it was a hot day so ran the engine to get the aircon going), about half the miles was plying the west side of the M25 the rest a mix of fast and not so fast A roads and a bit of urban driving, expect the next tank to improve. This is pretty impressive for a 140+ bhp 1.8 petrol engine, the wife's Jazz with a 1.4 engine manages about 45-46mpg. Top marks for fuel economy.

Visibility - This was a concern when I test drove the car, after a week my old habit of using the interior mirror has been replaced by staring at the side mirrors which are excellent. Reversed it through some gates this morning which was easier than I thought it would be despite the big rear pillars, the side mirrors and parking sensors helped, these were narrow gates probably a couple of inches clearance either side of the door mirrors! Conclusion there are a few blind spots caused by think pillars but on the whole the big side mirrors really help. On the open road I don't feel the width of the car, in town the fast steering helps hide it as its easy to dive in and out of traffic quickly

I-Shift - I've run it mainly in auto mode since I got the car, its very smooth if you accelerate at a low throttle setting, try to hustle it a long and it lurches a bit from a standing start, I think having 6 gears doesn't help as they are closer together so the electronics tries to shift a lot more often than if the gears were further apart. The I-Shift does kick down with aplomb, the box seems much quicker going down the gears then going up, and makes a nice rasp when you floor the accelerator pedal. Unfortunately, running in auto mode does induce a feeling of helplessness sometimes when the i-shift decides to go up a gear too early, pressing smartly on the accelerator will force the ECU to kick down but if you then release the throttle a little the gearbox will try and shift up so going on and off the throttle quickly can induce a yoyo effect, for quick get aways from roundabouts or junctions manual mode is much better simply because you are and more importantly feel in control! Up shifts in manual mode are fast, not instant as it the wife's Jazz CVT but much quicker than I could manage in a conventional manual car, backing off the throttle a little as you up shift helps make it smooth, in manual mode you have to remember to downshift, (On the Jazz if you don't shift down, the electronics simply puts the box back in full auto mode) it won't stall but it doesn't shift down for you, the electronics shifts down much more smoothly in auto mode than I can manage with the paddles, ideally I guess a sport mode which holds onto each gear longer as well as the conventional auto mode might be helpful or simply a mode that let's you do upshifts with the car taking care of the down shifts. I-shift is not an automatic in the normal sense but its much nicer than than having to use a clutch but it needs more thought than the binary on-off throttle/brake driving approach you get away with in a "proper" automatic, another tank of fuel and I think I'd have it licked!

Priceless moment - I do a 25 mile or so commute everyday between Junction 20 and Junction 13 of the M25, I often do some extra hours when the M25 is doing its impression of a car park so on Friday my IT guy cheekily says to me "you staying late tonight" to which I said "nah leaving on time" he then said with a broad grin "so you're still getting home late the M25 is all snarled up" and I said "nah my new toy will take care of me", he looked puzzled, so I said "yeah I just jump in the new toy, shout go home at it, tell it to avoid the motorway and it'll sort me out", slightly in disbelief, he said "you've got sat nav" I said "oh yeah" he said "traffic master?" I said "oh yeah built in to the sat nav" then I left the office ...... warning you could become a really smug so and so driving a Civic! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy.....

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Thanks for that -- really interesting. I would like a go in the i-shift.. might have to have words with my dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
have had a good few test drives in the i shift most well over the hour long dont have my car yet not until 17 sept geting the 1.8 i shift in cosmic grey with glass roof any way found if you lift your foot of the gas just on change you will get it much smoother the longer the drive i had the more i found i got on with the gear box im sure you will find it great when you get used to it most reports im reading that have the i shift love it can not wait for september enjoy your car

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i shift

Hi' All
many thanks for the info on the i shift went for a drive on the A21 yesterday down to hastings which was heaving so then went on to rye along the b roads boy does the civic hold well in the bends better than my rover 75 but then two entirely different modes of driving we clocked 150 miles all told so by the time got home was really getting the hang of he auto side of it have'nt tried the manual shift yet so thats next on the list also the fuel econemy was terrific at least the local garage wont be seeing me so much in future so as you may all have guessed by now am completely civic orientated just a few more long drives and will have it cracked
Have taken on board the tips regarding the use of the throttle so watch this space as they say..Also sorry about my choice of colour (night hawk) but silver was the best deal at the time anyway I like silver does'nt show the dirt so much so there.So thanks againn for all the tips any more would be welcome

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Lennie, welcome to the forum! Nice car, nice colour, look forward to chatting with you

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:roll: :lol: Hi Chris
Thanks for the welcome yeh nice car and nice colour so far well pleased with it actually tried it in manual today drove really well .Bet the wife did'nt see that post about her,also depends on the milage to consider as to wether it's a fair swop,Bet you cant wait for the new one to arrive what coluur did you go for
One thing is for certain the fuel bill be a lot lower now I have lost the rover75 still was a lovely comfy car though still we all must move on and when I sit in the civic it all seems worth it
lennie

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Lennie, I went for Nighthawk Black (NHB) and I can't wait for it! only 34 days to go :(

oh, and fortunately the wife doesn't browse this forum ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris
Nice colour the nighthawk black looks really sporty.guessed the wife did not look at the site cos non of us are that brave to make that sort of remark
Went for the silver as we had silver before a few years back,Also this one was on the front and only 2 months old and 700mls.on the clock Lady took it back and changed it for a jazz as she found it to big for her(the car that is) so had a good result really ,its certainly a great car we just love it need to do a few morew miles to really get to know it have to keep going out on the drive to admire it
lennie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 weeks into driving the civic

:D :lol: Well had the civic 2 weeks now what a joy to drive but still learning all of it's gizzmos and goodies,So different from the Rover 75 totaly new experiance but not complaing as I seem to go past the petrol pumps now instead of going in as I used to with the 75 must admit I find the drive a bit more harder and more road noise but that I will get used to that also nice to have a forum to go to
Have finaly got the hang of the i-shift now so thats well good the one thing I have learned to do is stand back when I open the hatch after it has been raining thats if you dont want a wet neck but all good fun..
Also the fuel consumption is around 36mph around town and 42 mph on a run so well pleased with that like I said pass the pumps more.Also did anyone take out the honda service option think it was 4or 5 years if so let me know what you think about that offer please.Read Pots thread on fitting the ipod think I give that a miss (lack of moral fibre)and stick with the mp3 cd's regarding the audio do find that the radio does loose the signal quite a bit but suppose you cant have everything perfect anyway the gist of all this is I love the car hope all the new potential owners do not regret their choice I did'nt
Lennie

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
lennie, having also moved from owning a 75 to the civic, one other point I have noticed/have concerns about is the bonnet. On the 75 I never bothered about damaging the bonnet when closing it but on the civic, mmmm. The manual says to drop it from about 8 inches high if I remember correctly don't know about you but I am always a little wary when doing this doesn't half make a clang :shock:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've got a confession... I've NEVER looked under my bonnet since getting my 2.2 EX in May :shock:

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Fedorov said:
I've got a confession... I've NEVER looked under my bonnet since getting my 2.2 EX in May :shock:
Are you trying to say that you have not managed to open the bonnet instaed of the filler cap :? :wink:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Fedorov said:
Apart from checking the oil, you've never even filled the washer bottle ........... amazing. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts