2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've signed up here to do some research on the 8th Gen Civic as I'm considering one as my next car.

I currently drive an ancient 2.0 HDi 306 but it's a bit small for our growing family. It's remapped to 135bhp and returns a healthy 53mpg - so probably not far off the 2.2 Civic I'm after?

What's obvious after a test drive though is how much more refined the Honda is - it is some 12 years newer than the 306 design though!

My budget is around £3.5-4k and I appreciate I'll be looking at cars with higher mileage at this level. I understand the clutch / DMF can be an issue too on the pre-2008 cars?

Hopefully my questions won't be too repeatitive!

How do you know whether a 2.2 has a DPF or not? Is it easy to tell?
How problematic / expensive is the clutch & flywheel if it goes wrong?
How easy is the Civic to service DIY? I've always serviced my cars myself historically.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Hello mate and welcome to :civinfo: :D

RE: DPF - UK cars were not specced with DPFs as standard and it was an option, so my advice is if you know it's a UK car assume it hasn't got one.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good choice with the 2.2!

The clutch went through 2 revisions, with the 3rd and final clutch being on models around 09. Anything before that may have an older clutch. The last few digits of the model number of the clutch are 305, 315, and 325. So if you've got a clutch with "325" near-ish the end of the long number, you've got the best version of the OEM clutch.

If i recall correctly, a replacement clutch bought and fitted by honda is around £500, but don't quote me on that! I've read about it a few times, but i'll likely be going the CG Motorsport route if my clutch needs replacing.

Do you know about things to check with the 2.2 and 8th gen civics in general, such as squeaky clutch pedal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, especially put my mind at ease regarding the DPF...

Am I right in thinking the annual tax on a 2.2 is £130 too? That's a big thumbs up as it's no more expensive than my current coal-burning diesel!

I'm not really aware of any other 'checkpoints' to be honest, is there a buying guide?

I've test driven one and I'm pretty hooked. I sat in a BMW 320d and loved the cockpit and driving position, having originally wanted a saloon car. I looked at the Civic on a whim as my Fiancee's aunt has one. Interior is fantastic.

The 2006 model I viewed had worn very badly however, particularly on the gearknob plastic, the bit of trim on the lower-half of the steering wheel and around the window switches on the drivers side. Is it common for the paint to scratch off so easily?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tax is £130 a year. The cars are good although with an eight year old car your going to get wear and tear with any car you buy so don't expect it to be immaculate. Private sellers are cheaper than dealers. Watch out for the clutch issues. I've had mine a month now and love driving it. It's the nearest u get to a sports car that's as practical as a family hatch. Only down side is refinement is lacking somewhat. Good luck hunting as they are rare beasts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Make sure the clutch pedal doesn't squeak as you push it down. That's a symptom of a bigger problem that you don't want to be dealing with.

Also. Check for rust around the roof (unless you get a model with the panoramic glass sunroof)

I think there's more info in the wiki section of the forum. Definitely worth a look through. Also, check the for sale section to see if there are any civics for sale on there?

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
:hello2: mate & :welcome4: to :civinfo::beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys.

Looking around trying to understand spec levels, is Parkers accurate? Having gone from looking at BMWs where SE > ES it seems the other way around with the Civic?

And I'm assuming the next up is the Sport.

Naturally I'm drawn to wanting an EX with panoramic roof!

I'll keep a close eye on the classifieds on here and thankyou for all your help so far.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I currently drive an ancient 2.0 HDi 306 but it's a bit small for our growing family. It's remapped to 135bhp and returns a healthy 53mpg - so probably not far off the 2.2 Civic
That's exactly what I had before I bought my civic! Someone wrote my 306 off for me on a roundabout though. I loved that car! I got just under 60 mpg out of the 306 on my work run and the civic returns 55mpg so not too dissimilar. Civic is a nicer car, but the suspension is not as good as the pug (on my list of future mods!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts