2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all of you here,

I am an owner & lover of a 2004 Civic 1.3 IMA Hybrid and it is with this model that I cut my teeth so to speak, I initially bought it with the intention of tidying it up & selling it on for a profit but quickly found I had been sold a car with a failing hybrid battery, being a professional electrician & amateur mechanic I was not about to pay over £2,000 as it was then for a so called "new" one from the dealers so i set to work researching & at the same time I removed the IMA battery to get a good look-see at what gremlins lurked within.

To cut a long story short I removed, stripped down, played around and replaced the hybrid battery no fewer than 14 bloomin' times!!! all with the same dreaded result - IMA light glaring at me along with the deeply annoying check engine & red battery lights giving the dreaded news on my friends [Darren from Daz Autos up here in Northampton UK] diagnostic machine that the hybrid battery had deteriorated - by this time folks I was so fed up believe me! that I resolved that the next day after my final attempt I was going to phone around to get the best scrap value I could for the car. Anyway when I woke up the next morning with my back aching significantly I groaned & with a final burst of determination & tenacity from somewhere I took it out & stripped it right down yet again only this time I applied an idea that had sprung into my head during the night, after I had worked out & built the circuitry of my idea I tentatively applied it, I had nothing really to loose did I really??

After some time had passed I rebuilt it for the very last time & replaced it in the vehicle expecting the worst yet again however when I started her up I was confused? there was no indication on the state of charge gauge at all as before? but there were also no IMA or other fault lights either??? so I decided to let it run for a while and slowly but surely the level on the state of charge indicator started building bar by bar until it was right at the top, well, it was literally a eureka moment & my neighbours must have thought I was mad as shouts off whooohoo yes & various profanities rang out to all around quite loudly.

I took her out for a test drive & it was a different car!! - whereas before it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding this time it was decidedly nippy & all the blue & green charge & assist indicators were working - I'd hardly even seen these before!!! . I think it was that evening I thought to myself - if I was in that awful position, others would be too & my services could be useful & valuable & shortly after I launched Hybrid Battery Solutions & that was just the beginning over 10 years later I now repair & re-condition or regenerate multiple models Honda, Lexus & Toyota.

So if you need any advice with your Hybrid, short of giving away all my secrets of course, I will help as best I can.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

[smilie=coolup.gif] story about how you got into Hybrids, determination! :thumbsup:

I'll keep your card nearby should my ol'thumper give me any issues :burnout:

Hybrid's are a great choice for those not yet convinced that full EV's and the infrastructure are quite there yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts