2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I feel a little bit bad as I've have registered in order to get advice on selling my Civic - but no I'm not trying to flog it on here.

I've had a 2002 1.7 Ctdi for 10 years and it has been the best car I've ever had. It has now done 195k, there is a problem with the back brake and I don't know how to fix it and can't afford garage prices (I always had it maintained at the college where I worked but have changed jobs to walking distance from my house). So I decided to sell it, as is, for 250.

A bloke came to look at it today. It started 1st time and while he was having a look under the bonnet, I went to make him a brew. When I came back, the engine had stopped and the glow light plug was on and wouldn't go off. Also the engine management light came on. That has never happened in all the time I've had it. I'm flummoxed and it looks like I'm trying to flog a dodgy motor, when it has always run like clockwork.

Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

It sounds like the car doesn't want to leave.

Do you have a code reader?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son has a cheap one but I think they often won't work on diesels of that age.

You know I'd have loved to have kept it. If I could do the work on the brakes myself I would - but I don't have the time or knowledge. Plus my wife is badgering me to get it off the drive. I'd desperately wanted to keep it for another 5k, as it would have been my first ever 200k car.

I can't help wondering if the bloke didn't loosen or unplug something to get the price down but I guess that's just cynical.

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
The 8th gen Civic's are usually pretty compatible with code readers, maybe not the really really cheap ones from China tho but then which car is.

Have you sold the car already, even with the 'fault'?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts