2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I stupidly left my keys in ignition for about 3-4 hours today.

Now when I try and start the car, the clock time flashed on and off like it's been reset, and when I press the START button, the immobiliser light flashes and the car clicks like mad.
engine doesn't start.

Is this just a case of recharging the battery or jump starting, and away I go, or will I need to get the car recovered to a dealer to re-programme the immobilise and key????

please be the first...

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Should just be a case of charging the battery, give it a go? Probly just not enough oomphf to start it, especially being the diesel :)

BFM

Reactions: danlat1415

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read on the forum not to change the battery with the key in the ignition.

I'm worried that I've left my key in the ignition while the battery has been draining, and it's wiped the codes.
I was putting wind deflectors on the car, and put the key in ignition to work the electric windows, then forgot to take the key out when I'd finished. Went back to the car 3-4 hours later and now won't start.

The car is on charge now so fingers and toes crossed.

Does anyone know what the cost would be to get the key/car recoded?
would I need to get the car recovered to a dealer, or can they come to your home?
(the car is currently safe on my driveway).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Connecting the jump leads with the key in the ignition is a no-no on many modern cars, the surge can cause your key to lose it's coding. Leaving the key in the ignition whilst it drains should cause no problems like that as there is no surge.

Do you not have a second key to try if your worried?

It seems to be hit and miss what a dealer will charge to reprogram a key, anything from £15, perhaps expect to pay £50 ? ( http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/44968-programming-key.html )

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know on my last car it was half an hour's labour to programme the key - but as has been said, I'd be very surprised of their is a problem with the key/immobiliser; it's just a flat battery. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALL SORTED :):)

It was just a case of the battery had drained too much to start the car.
like you said, diesels need a lot of juice.

Thanks for the support guys.
stopped me getting too worried :)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Batteries - on any car - can suffer from 'internal failure', whether they are 3 months or 10 years old - or, it can be as simple as dirty battery terminal connections ! ...

If the problem comes back, consider an after-market battery ...

Bosch have a very good reputation - I think it's the "S6" for the 2.2 ...

Reactions: danlat1415
1 - 8 of 8 Posts