2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, car's been fine all weekend, but as I hit the slip road to get on the A1 this morning it "chuffed" / "Cagged" as soon as it hit VTEC in 3rd. Out of VTEC it seems fine although I've detected a rattle somewhere at the front end. Only thing I've ever experienced like it was years ago in an MR2 that decided to get wet and not fire properly until it all dried out and cleared (I didn't turn the engine off...)

It's just had a 400 cel fitted and has a teg manifold for a while along with CPL filter (both seem solid in position) the car does sound quieter than it did, even out of vtec, and does seem drivable, again out of vtec.

I've dropped it off at the place next door for an emergency oil change - although thin, I thought there was ample oil in it and the exhaust place is closed on Mondays so can't get it on the ramps there for a check.

Any thoughts or ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You replaced the vtec solenoid filter before?
Nope? Last service was a full service at Grinspeed, and this doesn't sound like a service item, I'll google - forgot to say, no warning lights or anything anywhere.

VTEC does kick in, it just kills the car.

Cheers for the reply Das

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it apparently 4.25l of clean oil came out before the new lot went in - it's driving find until you hit vtec, then it's a bag of spanners and feels like it's retarding. It was OKish for some of the drive home (when I forgot to avoid vtec) then went again fully. @Das is that a sign of the solenoid? It's quieter too, so not unconvinced something's happened to exhaust, manifold or teg cat.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
A tenner part and three bolts to remove.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
If the only thing you've changed is the cat to a 400 cel, then I'd have to wonder if that's the problem and if it's restricting the exhaust gas flow when the engine hits VTEC. Any restriction here would choke the engine as you described under VTEC only. Not a mechanic or an R owner, so can't guarantee that's the cause, but it sounds very much as though it's either that or if something else, a consequential or coincidental failure. However. to my thoughts, if you if it was fine before you added something and poor after, it points the finger squarely at the added item as a starting point.

If you still have the original cat and it's a bolt back item, might be worth switching them back and seeing if the issue is still there.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, thanks for your replies, I've data logged it on the way in and will look to see if there's anything obvious.

I've been looking at that seal, and I think for the price it's worth a punt regardless.

I DO suspect something to do with the exhaust though, even though it was fine Sunday night and then a pig yesterday morning, it's quieter and the gas flow problems as outlined above are what I initially thought - it could also be the engine cutting as it's something more nefarious.

I'll update as soon as I can get some info!

Best,

JB.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
If it fails as SOON as VTEC kicks in, then it's a VTEC issue.

Issues are rare, but when you enter the Rev range, there's an additional OIL PUMP that activates, and pumps oil around the cam.

If there's not enough pressure, it'll back out of VTEC... that's the place to look first.

If the issue means it hops in / out of VTEC, it'll be quite violent potentially... and sound like power comes in / out with force.

Easy to check.... as said before, google WHEEL DEALERS S2000...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Will do (but at work atm) It's not violent, quite gentle (hence the pressure suspicion). The VTEC light stays on once in the rev range too (mine's at 4.2k). Gasket ordered, PCV kit ordered whilst I was at it and if I get knowhere I'll try and get it over to Stevie asap.

Spoken to Stevie, he's never heard of anything like it, exhaust guys are cutting the cat out tomorrow (both Stevie and exhaust guys agree to start there), the exhaust guy reckons the cat's collapsed inside and just can't cope (which is ironic given you can put them on a v8).

Anyway, superstition and rumour till it's off tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping Cox would've posted today, looks like I'll have to wait till Thursday to check the seal if it's not the cat. I'm liking the S2K btw @cavalrystu

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Watched this the other night and if memory serves me correct vtec valve rubber seal had failed
The filter was full of instant silicone gasket.....

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Confirmed it was the Tegiwa 400cel disintegrating, apparently I was REALLY lucky it didn't bounce and go the other way as there wouldn't be an engine left. As it stands, the full system has been taken off and checked (and small embedded pieces) removed and a quieter silencer put in it's place in the B pipe for now whilst we work out options. Hadn't driven the car hard, hadn't been in vtec much so imo no excuse for a fail that quickly and very, very frightening as I've dodged a bullet. Nipping up to collect and will check in tonight after the drive home to see how she is.

JB.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Glad you've got it sorted and found the issue, how old was the Teg cat?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you've got it sorted and found the issue, how old was the Teg cat?
Brand new, had only been on for a couple of days. I've emailed them, obviously. Normal place by the drivers door in the B pipe, so nothing unusual at all.

Want to see pics?

The Punisher logo is unintentional and was caused by the guys taking it out, rather than destroy the system we agreed that taking it out quickly and as the first step was the quickest diagnosis.

Needless to say, VTEC is just fine atm. As you can see most of the, I suppose you'd call it catalyst or media has gone and both the front and back of the mesh is clearly splitting in the middle.

When you consider I only have the CPL CAI and a map (well and the exhaust) on at the moment...

JB.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought Tegiwa was supposed to be the best of stuff, obviously not.
Haven't heard back from them, but considering these things should be able to deal with big V8s I've suggest they check any stock they still have - still can't believe it and how lucky I seem to be, fingers crossed no long term damage except in my pocket. May look into the system @Bones has or similar as there are ones out there shaped as if they'll make it from the manifold round to the b pipe without too much hassle, not cheap though :(

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I'd get on the blower.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'd get on the blower.
Too busy trying to find a new job whilst doing my job (quit last Friday as my line manager, well let's just say enough is enough, shame as I love the company) - anyway, so far been offered a direct replacement, or a 200 Magnaflow and it's being raised up to director level - apparently its the first one. The exhaust guys have no clue what caused it other than it been a bad 'un.

Not a lot of faith for that though and well out of pocket. On the plus side, FLEW home with VTEC waving and saying hi whenever I wanted. It's damaged the backbox somehow too as they'd managed to get it sounding so lovely and not droney on the motorway (well not as much as to be annoying) and currently that's there too - so work to be done.

Least I get to fit a VTEC solenoid gasket and new PCV kit at the weekend ;) - she's on 78k now so will keep with the notes as sure it's not a waste of time and to be fair the PCV pipework is looking a bit on weak side (passes squeeze test).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts