2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Help exhaust massive bang!

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Foulsmell 
#1 ·
Driving on motorway when there was a sudden very large bang! Car drives like normal but makes a horrific broken old banger noise when accelerating, think its either manifold or exhaust! I have a tegi mani and martelius exhaust, totally gutted as was happy with my setup! Anyone had this or know what I should do?

#2 ·
Sounds like you need to get under the car and investigate.

#6 ·
Spot on. It will be that. It happened to me at Spa.

The bung and the pipe are different metals, and as they both expand at different rates when heated, the bung can come loose.

The bang would have been the bung bouncing up and hitting the underside of the car as it fell out more than likely.

#11 ·
Seeing these sort of posts makes me glad Tegiwa never got back to me about paying by card from the channel islands. Seems the just make cheap stuff and aren't fussed about after sales

#16 ·
+ 1

Bit fedup of reading posts stirring things up when they obviously don't know the facts. :worms:

#14 · (Edited)
I had this exact same problem with the same set up, Tegi manifold and Martelius. I thought it was the "poor quality" Martelius that would have started blowing, but no, to my surprise it was something that fell out of the Tegiwa manifold...

ABP identified straight away and fitted a new bung...

#23 ·
Mine happened 545 miles from home on a race track, I lost around two hours from a day of track time. Stoney figured out what it was, as it had happened to him.

It's not an isolated incident, but I've not contacted Tegiwa about it, these things happen.

I'm just glad we could sort it while at Spa and didn't have to drive back to the UK with it blowing and I could finish the track day. :lol:

I'd buy Tegiwa again without question for the record. :thumbsup:

#31 · (Edited)
Since when have we made and sold brake kits?

Bits dropping off them... Seriously? It a bung, and not really that bigger deal. We actually supply two bungs - and will include a note in the box to say that the spare one needs to be Loctited in. Minor problem SOLVED whilst we have this batch.

And the scoop issue is underway and will be sorted shortly.

#33 ·
Sorry just to confirm Tegiwa responded to my pm within ten minutes and have sent me a new bung in the post, just awaiting getting it fixed would a local exhaust garage be able to do this? Tegiwa customer service is very good indeed! ;)

#35 ·
Exactly, you need to be able to jack the car up enough to get under it to the manifold. Stoney put mine in behind the pits at Spar and I checked it again when I got back to the hotel at Nurburg.

If you've got axle stands then great because you don't want the car dropping while you are underneath it.

Remember the Loctite and I'd screw it in by hand so you don't cross thread it then tighten it up with socket and ratchet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.