2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, jumped in my car this morning wouldnt start. I tried turning it over 3-4 times and it wouldn't fire up. Then the engine management light came on about the third attempt.
The fuel light was on 16miles to fill up as was going to go straight to shell this morning on my way to work.
So I went shell and filled a jerry can top the she up and fired up straight away! Now the engine management light wont go out, I have disconnected the battery and it still hasnt gone.
And my OBD bluetooth reader has died so I cant read the faults.

So its strange that it wouldnt start even tho it had 16miles + whatever else is in there and now I have this light.
I have let it go lower than that in the past without a problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
8th gen or 9th gen Civic?

Go to the dealer?

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

·
Registered
473 Posts
While the "miles to go" should have a fail safe there is always a chance of picking up a bit of dirt or sucking air if you let the tank get so low.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I take it that your car is a diesel, you may need to prime the system if you've got air in it and is low on pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
one word of advice about diesel civics. DONT let them run out of fuel its more hassle than its worth, if you know your going to run low make sure you fill it up before your journey ends and don't do as you did and wait until the morning. I never let mine go below the 35mile mark which is approximately when the fuel light is due to come on, only saw the fuel light once since owning mine :)

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
In the time I've had my 1.6 dtec. I've only let the tank go under 1/5th full once. I wasn't paying attention that day and it went down to about 4 bars from the red before I noticed. I usually fill up when it gets around a quarter tank remaining.

I knew before I bought it that letting a diesel go empty is a pain, but when the salesman at the dealership emphasized twice about not letting it run out, I've done my best not to let it run low, let alone run out :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts