2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to fly out to slovakia friday am for my best mates wedding on saturday amd now, due to the icelandic volcano, we are starnded.

Am currently checking out other routes, hiring cars, trains etc but does anyone have any clever ideas I can try???

I've heard some excuses but 'a Volcano stopped my wedding' has to be pretty high up the list!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Our kid is stuck over in Italy mate.
The first time since 9/11, that a total fly ban over Uk air space has been put in action.
First - they refuse to pay us back the Dosh that their Banks lost, now they send us over a load of dust.:)

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mates brother was on the first Ryan air flight this morn and they actually said over the tannoy that the flight may be a bit bumpy due to the atmosphere. Absolute clowns.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I was due to fly offshore at 2pm todsy, but getting a day off, will try again tomoro.
Hope you get to the wedding Dan.
Best option would be ferry/tunnel then train.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the A-team but apparently Murdoch was a bit tied up and some black guy they know aint getting on no plane so i'm kinda stuck there too....

The latest we've heard is that the BAA and NATS are going to re-assess the conditions at 6pm but so far BA and Ryanair have cancelled all flights till tomorrow am earliest.

trying to sort out two minibuses for a road trip but not looking good so far....

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
When's Ash Wednesday ?
It moves around, it is a number of weeks before Easter.

I was waiting for the "I have heard of Ash Wednesday, but this is ridiculous" jokes... :p

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Dan, driving for sure - Slovakia (from London) should be a 'doddle' - but, do book the Channel crossing a.s.a.p. ! ...

And make sure you have a vehicle with plenty of BHP, to take advantage of the Motorways \ Autobahns ...

·
The fat controller
1,041 Posts
Update at 8 this evening with a view to information whether flights will be possible tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed as I have a flight to Belfast booked for Saturday morning.

If the ash affects aircrafts then what is it doing to our lungs if we are breathing it in.

At least Pottsy will be having an easy few days whilst we all worry about flights.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Update at 8 this evening with a view to information whether flights will be possible tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed as I have a flight to Belfast booked for Saturday morning.

If the ash affects aircrafts then what is it doing to our lungs if we are breathing it in.

At least Pottsy will be having an easy few days whilst we all worry about flights.
Don't worry about your lungs.
Unless you are trying to breath at 30 000 feet, in which case you have other things to worry about.

I have a feeling Mr P is not in the best of positions either...

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
....... If the ash affects aircraft then what is it doing to our lungs if we are breathing it in .......
The 'ash' (which isn't actually ash at all, but lots of nasty and potentially corrosive mineral 'ejecta') is blown into the higher atmosphere, where airliners travel, and can be quite concentrated in places ...

Normally, it will dissipate through the lower atmosphere, as it settles to earth (and have negligible or nil effect on people \ animals \ plant life - BUT - if we were to have a "Krakatoa" type \ size eruption, then 'all bets are off' ...

Think about air travel being effectively shut down for a year or more, plus the earth cooling significantly (due to the 'dust' blocking the sun) and crop harvests being reduced all over the world ! ...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts