2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Proud Type-S Owner
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after new brake discs and calipers I think..

Basically I want my brakes like brand new and I want shiny sexy calipers to match. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy new calipers and discs? Will be taking them to a mechanic to fit lol

·
Proud Type-S Owner
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I now realise I need new pads and disks. How much do these normally cost? And is it hard to fit myself, or will it be best I find somewhere to fit them for me? I am semi proficient with mechanical work.

Thanks for any info!

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
Take a look at the MTEC website and set some plain (non grooved) coated disks (they won't rust).

The Mintex pads are fine for daily driver duties but they also list other options.

They can be DIY'd but I'd recommend getting a piston wind back tool, especially for the rears. There are several How To guides kicking around to show you wants involved.

·
Proud Type-S Owner
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be stupid to ask, but why not grooved? The only other option is drilled, dimpled or C-Hook (Whatever that means) Thank you for helping out!

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
Grooved are noisy if braking from high speed or down a long steep hill.

Plain disks can be found on the MTEC website, check top right of I recall correctly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you go for the coated discs, the black ones are pretty cool and as Farqui has said, they won't rust due to the coating. C hook is just a pattern to help get heat away from the disc I believe. Grooved, drilled or dimpled discs look cool but they're no better than normal discs for road use (depending on how you drive). I had dimpled and grooved discs on my Impreza and didn't notice any excessive noise from them. Personally, I would get grooved purely for a racey look. Painting your calipers will make a massive difference to the look of your car and I've heard if you go for red paint, it'll add at least 5bhp ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts