2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Basically I bought my civic 2.2 3 months ago, it had 85k on the clock, it now has 89k, I baught it for 6500 and they said I had 3 months warranty with RAC but they probably won't cover the clutch (dealer said this).
Do I have a leg to stand on? Help would be very much appreciated.

I'm getting nasty clutch slip, started on the way to work this morning.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Unfortunately at 89k miles they'll put it down to wear and tear. If it were lower mileage, say 20k, HUK may have paid for the clutch as a good will gesture. But 89k is far too high.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Since the fault developed 3 months after you purchased it, I'm not sure if that would apply. Certainly worth looking into though.

Not sure how much the Honda clutch is. A lot of people go for uprated clutches though as they're much better than the Honda clutches and future proof in case you want to get a remap or similar.

A lot of people replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch to prevent future problems.

An uprated clutch and DMF plus fitting would cost you around £850.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Hey guys,

Basically I bought my civic 2.2 3 months ago, it had 85k on the clock, it now has 89k, I baught it for 6500 and they said I had 3 months warranty with RAC but they probably won't cover the clutch (dealer said this).
Do I have a leg to stand on? Help would be very much appreciated.

I'm getting nasty clutch slip, started on the way to work this morning.
Exactly same happened to me just over a week ago.

Take the car back to the dealers try and ensure customers are there.

Talk loudly but be polite and explain you are having a problem with the car you purchased on x date. It is in THEIR interest to keep you a happy customer, if they refuse you can take it to a small claims court.

Under trade description acts you as the customer have the right to a refund/ replacement within 6 months. Before 6 months is up THEY have to proove that it was not at fault, after 6 months YOU have to proove it was at fault at purchase.

I had a word with my dealer who agreed under my warantee they would cover any engine/ transmission issues up to the value of £250.

I am taking it there tomorrow to be assessed and receive a quote, I am going to try and ensure I am able to get the uprated clutch fitted as I do not want this happening again.

£250 is not all of the cost obviously but its better than being told where to go.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
An uprated clutch and DMF plus fitting would cost you around £850.

Similar price with Honda.

Clutch is ~250-300 from Honda(or currently (£200 at cox), Flywheel is around £350 (or £330 currently at cox). Your talking a lot of labour charge on top of that (prob around 200-300).

:(

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Advice - don't ring.

Go there.

Easy to fob u off over the phone, my boss used to be a car dealer, he told me how to approach the situation best. :)

Any other advice u need let me know cheers

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Didn't realise you had that long to take it back. Good to know :)

All dealers try and fob you off with 3 months warantee.

Fact is its bullcrap.

Consumer rights protect you for 6 months.

Although if they tell you to bugger off you may need to take to small claims court...

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Returning faulty items : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Proving goods are faulty

If you bought the item within the last six months, it’s the trader’s responsibility to prove the item wasn’t faulty when you bought it.
If you bought your item over six months ago, you may have to prove the fault was not caused by accidental damage or wear and tear. You can do this by getting a second opinion from an independent expert (see link below).
There you go.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
As total k-os has just stated, you're in with a good chance going by the book. I imagine you'll go to the dealer and they'll disappear into the back to "work something out". after they've had a brew they'll probably make you a small gesture towards repair.

Make sure you stand your ground. unless your driving style is awful the clutch wasnt in a position to be left before you bought it. if neccssary take them out in the car and show them the slip so they know its not accidental or reasonable wear and tear.

I've had no bad experience with dealers repairing things under warranty, they've just taken it really slowly to get it done.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Exactly what I'm doing tomorrow, taking their head mechanic out on a dual carrigeway to show how bad the problem is. If he dosn't think there is a problem I have my normal mechanic about 5 mins away from there who I will get to look at the problem prior to taking further action.

And then agree whats going to happen going forward. :)

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I bought my 2.2 from Evans Halshaw, who also included a 3 month warranty. I noticed the slip on the way home, but didn't actually know what it was. Anyway; it took me months of phone calls, speaking with managers, service people etc and they finally agreed to let me take it to Honda, who would fix it free of charge! Of course the car was bloody written off three days before it was meant to be fixed!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Just thought I'd feedback from tonights discussions with the garage.

Test drove the car and agreed clutch was slipping, although mechanic did not understand why it was only doing it some of the time, he said (as I had guessed) master cylinder was not on way out as clutch *feels* great when pressing the pedal & engaging. Apparently this is one of the more common faults with them?

My standard 3 month warantee will only cover £250 work parts/labour IF it break down as a result of a faulty engine/ transmission part. This runs out on Saturday, being 3 months of ownership. As a gesture of good will he spoke to the saleman and asked if there could be some sort of good will gesture towards me in case of it failing, the saleman agreed and I now have it in writing that within 6 months of TODAY's date, if it fails I can get it fixed, by them, at their trade prices for both parts & labour (just covering their costs, no profit for them).

Think its a very reasonable gesture in the circumstances and I would like to thank New Cheltnam Car Sales in Bristol for this. After reading some horror stories from other buyers on google, I feel I should give them some sort of praise for dealing with me very professionally & keeping me happy as the customer.

They are getting back to me tomorrow with a quote for replacement should it fail. I will also speak with them about me supplying the parts & them fitting (CG 6 Paddle).

Cheers all. Sorry if I've gone off topic...

As I was able to quickly speak to the chap about it being such a high cost to replace, I asked if there was anything else that could be done as I was thrilled with the car, just disapointed that it was slipping.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just got back from the garage from dropping my car off to be fixed.

They agreed to fix it and to cover 75% of the costs and they've given me a bmw 320d to cruise around in until it is fixed, free of charge.

I've only got a to pay a small amount for a new clutch which I can't complain about really.

This was Belgrave Motor Company in Sheffield, they deserve some praise for what they're doing for me.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Nice deal. How much ya gotta pay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.