2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car's going into bodyshop shortly and I can't decide whether I want my wheels refurbed Gloss black or Satin black. (wheels are in my sig)

I thought the gloss would match my stealth grille but seen a few Fiesta ST's with gloss and they look a bit naff (could be the car tho)

What do you think??

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Gloss black shows up every little mark so you ned to handle them with kid gloves when cleaning them. Me personally, having the same colour code as you Anthracite looks very nice.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,282 Posts
+1 for Anthracite

Glossy tends to look a bit plastic to me personally.

Reactions: D 1

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They both look good.

I was hoping they'd look like this

I really do like anthracite but Id like it to match up with my grille and other trim

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've just had the wheels on mine refurbed while I had some other work done.

My cousin (who was doing the work) was trying to sway me towards Piano Black (gloss) but I have never been a fan of them and opted to stick to Championship White.
The problem I have with black wheels is they tend to get lost in the wheel arches in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
not black unless its a limited edition corsa :p

I like wheels with abit of shine/metallic look to them personally, Unless you are going bold with bright green/purple/blue etc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gloss colours Stand out more, while satin tend to 'blend' with the rest of the car. Personally, I like the gloss look.

If you want to be different to every other Joe who has black wheels - tell the shop to put 1gram of silver or gold pearlescent paint in the clearcoat.
1 gram isn't enough to change the colour of the wheels in the slightest, but when the sun hits those bad boys -GOLD SHINE-

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always liked black wheels and have had on my last 2 cars so my 50p worth.

Matt black wheels end up looking dirty realllly quickly. Gloss black less so i found. All black wheels end up looking a bit meh (in my opinion) if you dont use tyre shine, as they just look dirty

Black wheels in general can look smaller (as harder to visually seperate from the tyre -if that makes sense)

I refurbed a set of rota gt3 in matt black for my nhb fn2 recently but because of the points above just didnt like them. Have recently repainted them an anthracite / grey colour, and much prefer it

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have always liked black wheels and have had on my last 2 cars so my 50p worth.

Matt black wheels end up looking dirty realllly quickly. Gloss black less so i found. All black wheels end up looking a bit meh (in my opinion) if you dont use tyre shine, as they just look dirty

Black wheels in general can look smaller (as harder to visually seperate from the tyre -if that makes sense)it
I've changed my last 2 civics over to matt black wheels, and it's true they do look dirty very quickly, you can see every spec of dust and dirt due to the black background.

I've seen some cars with gloss black wheels, and i'm half and half about them. Any chips or kerbing though and you'll completely ruin the look.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I've changed my last 2 civics over to matt black wheels, and it's true they do look dirty very quickly, you can see every spec of dust and dirt due to the black background.

I've seen some cars with gloss black wheels, and i'm half and half about them. Any chips or kerbing though and you'll completely ruin the look.
Try and clean them. If you have any sintered iron particles it will leave horrendous swirl marks in the sun. Anyone with a black car has the same issue.

Hence why i like Anthracite or standard wheel silver. I do not have time to be spending two hours cleaning my wheels

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
You have to think do you want a shine finish or not? Satin or matt black will IMO always looks like the wheel is dirty, especially at night, at least with gloss you get a shine off of the alloy... you could also go for a gloss black with a silver metallic flake through them, that's what mine are although I don't have any amazing pictures of them but I could try to get some...

Or is there even some writing on your alloys outwith the centre cap? Why not try and get that done the colour of your car so the black is broken up (if you go black)

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've decided on gloss black. I think it'll work well with the bright colour of the car. I've got blue calipers and wheel lugs too so that should break it all up a bit. I'll see how much more it'll cost to get flake in the the same paint too. Cheers!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car's going into bodyshop shortly and I can't decide whether I want my wheels refurbed Gloss black or Satin black. (wheels are in my sig)

I thought the gloss would match my stealth grille but seen a few Fiesta ST's with gloss and they look a bit naff (could be the car tho)

What do you think??
Mine back from the powder coaters - gloss black

1 - 16 of 16 Posts