2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '57' ES NHB i-shift is doing very nicely, thank you. My wife and I are very pleased with it. However, of late a 'noise' has made it's presence known, and I am having great difficulty in identifying the source.

I know that noise can travel around a car which makes it more difficult to pinpoint the problem but when driving the 'noise' appears to emanate from the roof area above the rear nearside passenger seat.

The 'noise' consists of a dull sharp knock and only appears when the car has driven over an irregularity in the road. It sounds like two metal surfaces coming into contact, but only momentarily. I have checked the hatch, seat belt anchorages, rear nearside passenger door. rear seats and the roof lining above the rear seats. All appear to be secure. A passenger sitting in the rear nearside seat has also failed to identify the source.

I am aware there may be a problem with rear shock absorbers. I have not discounted this but the 'noise' appears to come from within the car and does not appear to come from the rear shock absorbers, but I stand to be corrected.

I am reluctant to report the problem to my dealer at this stage.

I just wonder whether any other forum member has encountered the same 'noise' and is able to advise me how it was hopefully resolved. Alternatively, any further assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Suggest you check the rear hatch door which when you raise it you will see a couple of rubber adjusters on it, that could solve your problem

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first place to look would be the N/S hatch hinge, and the hatch alignment. Failing that, you need to hunt around with a tube in the ear..
Thank you. I have checked both hatch hinges and they appear correctly aligned and fully tight. I am looking for a tube now.......

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put some tape around the rear seat catches
Robbo51: I have now done what you suggested. I took the car out around local roads and guess what? I didn't hear 'the noise'. I was only out for ten minutes so I do not wish to count my chickens before they are hatched. However, I am getting rather excited and for the moment a real happy bunny. I'll see how it goes over the next few days and I'll submit another posting. Thank you once again.

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robbo51: I have now done what you suggested. I took the car out around local roads and guess what? I didn't hear 'the noise'. I was only out for ten minutes so I do not wish to count my chickens before they are hatched. However, I am getting rather excited and for the moment a real happy bunny. I'll see how it goes over the next few days and I'll submit another posting. Thank you once again.
Robbo51,

My post above was a little premature. Tape around the seat catch was an improvement but did not totally eliminate the 'noise', although you certainly pointed me in the right direction. If one lowers the rear seat (nearside) one can see the catch assembly.There is a one inch gap where the 'U' bar fits into the catch assembly.I fitted a piece of foam with a dense backing into this gap. (I utilised a shoe shine foam brush which can be found as a freebie in hotel rooms etc). I also bound the 'U' bar in tape as you suggested. Job done! I've driven the car for a few days now and the 'noise' has gone!
Thank you once again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts