2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when things were going so well, changing the OSF shock absorber on a 2006 FK2 1.8 and I can't get the upper pinch bolt in, I noticed the inner CV boot looks stretched and tried to get it back in but it is having none of it, have remove the nut and pulled the outer CV out for more wiggle room but still no joy.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but no joy, I can feel the three roller bearings under the boot but they won't pop back in, going to try and get the boot off at the cup end, they have some weird looking clips on them.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, managed to get the shaft out and bearings realigned but lost a lot of grease.

The grease does not look like regular CV lithium moly as it very runny and lighter. In the link they said they used Castrol LMX but it seems not readily available here so any suggestions as to a substitute grease would be great.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
lower the car back down... I had this issue when changing shocks a few years back.

both front need to be lowered back down to normal height and it will slide back in.

Its a 3 prong joint so will fit in.

as for grease halfords sell for £10 high velocity grease. its grey thick gooey stuff..

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I did try this before I manage to remove the shaft, it would not of worked in my situation unfortunately as a bearing had dropped.

The grease is not standard CV grease, this stuff is thin compared to the regular stuff.

Honda USA sell the inboard grease P/N: 08798-9003

I shall ask Cox if they can supply it or its UK/Euro equivalent.

Thanks again all for the advice.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so finally got around to re-greasing this joint a few days ago mostly due to not having the time, being ill and the weather.

The grease itself took a while to get here but my thanks to Andy @COXMOTORPARTS for being able to source and supply it.

The part number has changed to 08734-0100 and the tube as shrunk in size to 85g.

As you can see this is not normal CV grease.

Not sure if this thread should be moved to Engines and Transmission?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel like crap right now because I was changing upgrading to lowering springs and I started with the front, the inner CV is stretched like that and we are on lockdown because of covid, I can't get spares so I HAVE TO find a way to slide it back in, removing the axle is not an option for me. Wow I feel like crap about this. Trying again in the morning. #Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
You'll get it sorted. At least you know what to do if it won't pop back in! There's a knack to getting it back in, even if you haven't dropped a bearing. There's a couple of key threads on here about it, one with a link to a very useful video demonstrating the technique.

Read all you can, you'll suss it!

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
Happened to me a few weeks ago doing the same. You will need to remove the under engine tray.
If there are two of you this will make it so much easier. One under the car, the second on the Hub. The person under the car squeeze the rubber boot and you will feel the 3 Knuckles inside it. Keep them squeezed in tight and have the second person turn the hub and push in at the same time and it should slip back in. You may be able to do this on your own but its not easy. I cut off the Metal clip for the boot, but in hindsight I didnt need too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ah the oh my god what have I done moment.... same happened to me during the front drivers side. I also buggered up the abs sensor as well :D There is a knack to getting it in which is very difficult to explain. Its best explained via video....

yea THAT MOMENT. The stress . Awesome. Thanks for the video link, makes total sense. I'll try again in the morning. Should just pop back in. I'll give feedback as soon as I've won.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just fitted new shocks to my Civic and had the same problem with the drive shaft popping out. Followed your tips and watched the YouTube video, did the required jiggery pockery and got it back in. Thanks to Casper UK and the others, this info saved me a lot of time and additional costs. (y)(y)

·
Registered
201 Posts
for those who are worried about this happening when changing the suspension at home, a spare axel stand makes a perfect resting place (place under the lugs), holds it up vertically and prevents travel horizontally. worked perfect for me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts