2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a Honda S-Type 2007 1.8 Petrol Auto.

On cold days, the car would chug and cut out when trying to reverse or drive forwards until it had fully warmed up. I put it in with the dealer and they claimed to have done a software update on the gearbox - which was explained to me as remapping the ecu with regards to petrol and air.

Since having my car back I have noticed that it is now drinking petrol. It is showing up as 33MPG but the amount of petrol seems extreme. I drive a max of 16 miles a day and barely reach over 30mph. Today I drove 4 miles and on the display which indicates how many miles left of petrol you have, it used up 8 for this journey. Is this correct?

When they do the software update, is it literally a plug in and let the computer do the rest? Also, is it possible to accidentally download the wrong update?

I have to say that the reason why I am so doubtful of the dealer is because I have not had a good experience with them to date.

Can anyone advise? Also if you have had the update, what does it actually do?

· Registered
187 Posts
Today I drove 4 miles and on the display which indicates how many miles left of petrol you have, it used up 8 for this journey. Is this correct?
That part sounds normal, a cold engine will use more fuel, 4 miles won't warm it up enough be economical and so yes, 4 translating to 8 sounds about right. It bases it somewhat off instantaneous consumption, which is always quite poor to look at :p

As for the rest, the update should run through certain checks before applying in order to prevent causing damage to the vehicle. It is unlikely they'd have applied the wrong one.

Has the update solved your initial problem? I'd have thought it would be more than a software update needed, but don't quote me on that.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to tell if it has solved the problem as it isn't cold enough. There does seem to be a more meaty start and the roll on hills doesn't seem as apparent. Almost as it there is more automatic clutch control going on. But the problem was the stalling when cold. It's almost as if there was too much air to petrol ratio before? But I don't know! What do you think?

· Registered
501 Posts
When they do the software update, is it literally a plug in and let the computer do the rest?
Also, is it possible to accidentally download the wrong update?
Answer to first question: yes.
Answer to secon question: no.
For your info: there's no update for this engine. The update is for the i-shift gearbox. This kind of updates have no or very limited influence on fuel consumption. If there's influence, it's because of the shift pattern that might have changed, not because of air/fuel mixture.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my car may be i-Shift, not sure though.

I was thinking that the update would be for what you suggested, but when I was speaking to the aftersales manager @ Honda dealership and asked him to explain what the update actually did, he drew a diagram - which was a graph with air and fuel and said that for example, my car was letting out 10g of petrol and with the update the points may be remapped and it would now let out 12g.

Do you think he was making it up then? Now I am confused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.