2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am really hoping some of you will be able to have some input and help me out with this dilemma.

I have a 1.8 Type S 2008 model, it has done 35,000 miles, Full Honda Service History. Modifications include: Eibach Spring's on standard shocks, EBC grooved discs and Greenstuff pads and Rota 18" wheels with the same tyre's as Honda Blade alloys. This has all been disclosed to Honda UK.

I recently went down to my local dealership as the car was making a large humming noise above 30 mph (which I assumed to be the front wheel bearings). I was genuinely upset that the bearings would go at such a low mileage, after a quick test drive with a Honda mechanic I was informed that yes it is in fact the front wheel bearings and they must be replaced. The dealership wanted 93.50 for one side wheel bearings, thus both sides would be £187 + £280 Labour. However after complaining to Honda UK that this shouldn't happen to a car that has done such less mileage, under their goodwill policy they allowed a discount on the price for the parts which now meant I would have to pay £50 for parts + £280 labour. This was fine and I booked the car in along with its 4th year service. I then get a phone call from the dealership midday on the day that I handed the vehicle over to them for which I am told there is a problem which is the following:

Both driveshafts are seized solid in hub carrier; requires 2x driveshaft couplers 2x front hub assemblies and 2x wheel bearings, unable to remove driveshafts from there casings to complete work

I have been given a quote of £1472.26 not including labour which would be roughly £500.

I would really appreciate if any of you could provide any advice on this as I really am baffled as to how this could happen to a car that has not been driven rough at all, a car that has full service history and such low mileage :confused::confused::confused: What would be my best plan of action?

Also on a side note neither the Air filter or spark plugs were changed on this 4 year service, is that correct or should they have been changed?

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Assuming it's not supposed to be under warranty, I'd get to a scrap yard and sort it myself. Those prices are just silly.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I would call honda uk again and inform of this and also explain to them that there was a issue with drive shafts on 2008 models of the civic. i know this as my old civic had its drive shafts replaced due to faults they were the ones that recalled it.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Hey,

Sorry can't really help with most of your thread, but reference the plugs, if they're iridium, then they're only replaced by Honda every 75K miles.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Bit of heat around the hub and a good hit with a hammer they should fall out. The bearings are getting changed anyways so it doesnt matter if the heat melts the grease. They are only covering there arse and dont want to put the work in. If it was me i would rather pay more on labour than parts thats not needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, and yes your correct car is no longer under warranty! sucks.

I would call honda uk again and inform of this and also explain to them that there was a issue with drive shafts on 2008 models of the civic. i know this as my old civic had its drive shafts replaced due to faults they were the ones that recalled it.
I think this will be my first step, I shall give them a call tomorrow, I happened to stumble across your thread so have had a read, its a real shame 2008!

Bit of heat around the hub and a good hit with a hammer they should fall out. The bearings are getting changed anyways so it doesnt matter if the heat melts the grease. They are only covering there arse and dont want to put the work in. If it was me i would rather pay more on labour than parts thats not needed.
They had my car in over night and I was told that they used a 15tonne press and heat overnight, and it still wouldn't separate ! If I have no luck with Honda i'l have to try this myself lol.

Saint2k Thanks for the info was just making sure as I wasn't 100% on whether they should have been changed or not.
Anyway I shall keep you all updated thanks for the heads up !

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I had wheel bearings replaced under warranty after only 6,000 miles.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,627 Posts
Assuming it's not supposed to be under warranty, I'd get to a scrap yard and sort it myself. Those prices are just silly.
+1
diesel and petrol drive-shafts or just the petrol drive-shafts had issues i wasn't aware of any recall for drive-shafts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts