2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently posted about my front left damper and spring being replaced on my 1.8 type s,
The problem I can see is that the new side has a height of 90mm from top of tyre to bottom lip on wheel arch trim, the other side is 40mm, I know this is just a rough way of measurement but the gap is really different, the car has also been parked on different surfaces just incase it's uneven but it still measures the same?? I took car back and they say it just needs to bed in and all tolerances are in spec, well I have just done a 400 mile journey and it's the same? Can anyone help out there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
How many miles had your car done before the work was done to it?

I always thought that shocks and springs should always be changed in pairs accross the axle (both fronts or both rears).

If you're car has done a fair few miles then your old spring and shock will be more worn than the new one meaning it will sit lower than the new side :(

I would take it back and tell them that they should have replaced both sides.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi parsco, car has done 37 thousand but the both shocks and springs were changes 2 yrs ago, Honda Cardiff say only one has failed so only one will be changed, and my exact argument with them was the same as your comment (wear in the other side) just got of the phone to HUK and they can see my point so the other side is gonna be changed as well, but will this mean the othe side will sit higher now as well ??

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the other damper unit changed yesterday, the car is around the same height now both sides, but still higher than before, Honda say it will bed in over a few hundred miles? Is this true?? Can anyone help me out here

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Have you had the springs changed too? edit; ignore that, yes they will bed in.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope so, I seen a few type s petrols now and they are all lower than mine, cheers anyway

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am guessing they did as the shocks come built from the factory, so it was a matter of just a straight swop to replace them.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers J Turbo :) I do hope it's ok now as I owned the car from new, had no luck with it, and made 26 warranty claims so Honda told me :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, it's gotta be a Friday car ha ha, to top it off when I had struts changed they only jacked the car up on the plastic body kit and cracked it all, muppets something else they gotta fix now :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honestly I try to keep my car out the garage as much as possible, I do as much as I can myself servicing etc. Just because of bad expieriences with garages, vauxhall done some engine work and sent me on my way without any coolant WOOPS lol, that was expensive for them.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Lol, it's gotta be a Friday car ha ha, to top it off when I had struts changed they only jacked the car up on the plastic body kit and cracked it all, muppets something else they gotta fix now :(
Yes the Civic's made in Swindon are fickle piles of crap. I will NEVER buy a Honda that's not made in Japan again. My Integra Type R is 14 years old AND turbocharged, never misses a beat (169k miles). My wife's Jazz, 11 years old, never misses a beat. I felt guilty and serviced it last month because we hadn't spent any money on it since we bought it two years ago!

My Civic CTDi, been back at the dealers for numerous "common faults" over the past 14months. Now it's out of warranty I fix it myself. Never, never, never again Swindon Honda.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree the car is really poor, I will never by another Honda again to be honest it's really put me off

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
I agree the car is really poor, I will never by another Honda again to be honest it's really put me off
I think I'll buy another Honda as the other ones I have are made in Japan with decent quality.

I'll be checking the chassis number to make sure it is made in Japan though! (starts with JH).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts