2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

First off great forum. Very informative and a great read.

Now for my issue that I hope someone can help with.

I have a 2017 9th Gen Civic SR. Its got Sat Nav and I-Mid displays. I have seen avideo on youtube. Link here

youtube.com/watch?v=umBL6ohyuKY

(but you'll have to copy paste to see it as I can't post links yet due to forum rules)

that shows the i-MID displaying simple directions from the main Sat Nav, which I think is a great idea as looking down at Sat Nav takes your eyes off the road.

Problem is that I can't find out how to enable this feature. Scrolling through the i-MID options with the steering wheel controls and seatching menus doesn't bring up a Nav option. The owners manual makes no mention of it either.

The only thing I can think of is that in the video the car the guy is driving has an older sat nav. The type with 2 rows of buttons. Mine has newer model with one row and hence Honda might have disabled the option on the newer model.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
I've got the older Alpine nav and that certainly displays 'next turn' info in the iMid when selected, which as you say is far better than taking your peripheral vision off the road.

If it's not in the manual then maybe that option was dropped with the Connect unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I have a late 2016 Civic with the connect 2 sat nav and it doesn't display turn by turn in the i-mid unfortunately. I asked my Honda dealer about it and they said it wasn't implemented in this version but is on the 10th G model. Shame huh. Don't see why it can't be upgraded but Honda don't offer that.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I've always thought it would be nice to have a GPS display on the I-Mid; The limited functionality it enjoys at present seems like a waste of a perfectly good display!
I wonder how they drive the I-Mid, As It must be independent of the Connect unit (To be used with lower specs), however it is still able to display information via the connect unit.

I'm sure software would be able to accomplish this, it's just a matter of willingness to release software updates.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As per the 9G Honda Connect FAQ

Honda CONNECT FAQ | Honda

Page 19 -
Q: On my previous Honda vehicle the Navigation system gave me Turn by Turn information in the centre display screen (i-MID). How can I get that same information from the current system?

A: Garmin Navigation uses the Honda Connect display for the navigation guidance information where the Auto zoom map function for manoeuvre is displayed and also Junction view

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies and Steve_m for the definitive.

Definately not the result that I wanted to hear but nevertheless has put a stop to me searching high and low for a menu option.

Strange how Honda decided to drop this feature when it clearly was a good idea. They've learned though, by including on the 10g...

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Strange how Honda decided to drop this feature when it clearly was a good idea.
Indeed! How much effort would it have taken to write an API to interface the Garmin software with the i-MID.

As said above.. it was a handy feature in the pre-facelift 9Gs with the HDD premium audio systems.

Anyhow, at least the 9Gs screen is slightly angled towards the driver and is still very easy to glance at.

Hope you're enjoying your 9G SR, it's a fantastic car :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello CivicCliff

Yes, loving it. Actually its the misses motor, I pay for it and get the benefit of being drivern around.

Not the first Honda we've had though. Between us we've had a load of bikes from CG125 being my first, a CB125single, a 125 twin a load of 250 superdreams and 400 superdream that I have in bits in the garage ready to rebuild, a 600 Hornet and a CB750 1995.

Car wise, we;ve had a couple of CRVs and got the G9 SR because some plon-er went into the side of our 6G 1997 3 door 1.5iLS and wrote it off (category N). Gutted the misses was. It has only done 61k and in very good condition but sadly needs a bit of work to get back on the road as the passenger side door and rear panel is caved in.

Still sitting on our drive now as we dont really know what to do with it now that the insurance has paid out. It would be a shame to see it go to scrap.

Anyway. Thanks for your comments and friendly post. All the best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts