2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My driver's side floor is soaking. I noticed water dribbling in from behind the trim above the bonnet release and fuel cap release levers on the right side of the foot well.

Problem is I don't know where the origin is.

Has anyone has water coming in here and if so what was it, the drains? the door? And how can I fix it?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
It'll be the washer jet hose, Pop the bonnet and the black trim at the wipers is held on by 3 pop clips, and then comes off with a pull, there's a hose behind it with a push fit connector.

I'll bet its parted

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It'll be the washer jet hose, Pop the bonnet and the black trim at the wipers is held on by 3 pop clips, and then comes off with a pull, there's a hose behind it with a push fit connector.

I'll bet its parted
I'll definitely check that, I just got concerned as this only appeared after a torrential downpour on Monday and it's been raining on and off ever since.
Can't remember using the washers very much but I guess it could still be the washer hose.

I'll report back.

Many thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure it's not the washers. I inspected the hose and it's all connected together properly, no leaks.
Tried pouring water down into drain at the Base of the wiper and watching for the water coming down into the cabin but saw nothing. The water was draining down under the car.
Poured water all down the door and window and still couldn't see anything coming in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a bit of investigation today. Removed trim in the footwell and soaked various areas of the car checking for the leak each time. I found that when I soaked round the area of the wing mirror and that part of the door I saw the drip coming down into the footwell.

Soaked this area. Does anyone know how to remove that piece of trim??

Drip is inside this area

Drip is coming down here onto the floor

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That orangey stuff by the way is surface rust so obviously she's been dripping for a wee while.

Had that piece of trim off there, not sure it was to blame, still trying to find the cause!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pulled away the door seal and soaked the edge of the windscreen and saw water running down behind where the door seal would be.

So I'm pretty sure the water is entering via the edge of the windscreen around the black strip. I'm thinking this might be a job for the dealer.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Unless you have had the windscreen replaced recently. Cos then you need to take it up with whichever company did the replacement.

Don't judge me. I was born to be awesome not perfect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last people to touch this bit of trim was the dealer I think it was the driver's side, might actually have been the passenger side. The rear seat belts were getting wet so they resealed it.
That was a couple of years ago though

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I decided to have a go at this today.

First I removed the wiper (17mm nut), the trim under the wiper (pulls off with gentle force), trim at the base of the windscreen (also pulls off) there are also a few circular clips to remove holding these bits of trim together in the engine bay.

Then I began to remove the roof/windscreen trim starting from the bottom of the windscreen.

The first clip is different to the rest and is easily broken, to get it off without breaking it you need to push the edge of trim nearest the screen down towards the windscreen glass and lift the back of it at the same time. It should come away without breaking. It's a sort of plastic fly clip. (I managed to break half of it later)

The rest of the fixings are different all the way up the side of the windscreen. There are 4 to remove. I had to get creative.

I took a thin screwdriver and bent it with pliers to give me an angle to get under the trim.

These fixings don't just pull off with force, they need to be released. There is a male part which is attached to the underside of the rubber trim that inserts into a female part that's attached to the car.
I lifted the trim at each fixing, as much as I could without breaking them, just enough to expose the side of the clips that need to be released.

Then I used the bent screwdriver to gently push in the wee push clips that are holding the male part into the female fixing and managed to release the clip, there's about three of these wee catches or clips on each fixing that once pushed enable you to pull it off.

I worked my way to the top of the windscreen, there were 4 of these fixings in total.

As far as continuing to pull up the trim on the roof goes these clips are different and they just pull up with force, enabling me to inspect under here as well.

Once removed I also removed the female parts up the side of the windscreen by lifting the catch with a screwdriver and sliding them across.

Then they just come off.

Then I was able to inspect the underneath and assess the state of it (it was a bit of a mess). There was dirt, gunge and old crumbly black sealant.

I also pulled the rubber tim across the top of the windscreen to about half way across.

I could see that all the way up the side of the windscreen and across the top of the winscreen there was a lot of dirty gunge and crumbling black sealer. I decided to brush away anything loose and then gave the whole thing a good clean.

Now with it all clean I could see a few issues. A small crack on the seal at the top of the windscreen right at the corner, some holes in the body sealer at the bottom corner of the scree and just a general look of leakyness, I knew I needed to seal up the cracks, holes and all around the windscreen.

So I chose some fairly heavy duty sealant/adhesive that I bought in homebase for £10. Seems like it'll be fairly good stuff.

It was! Very thick and sticky. Came out of the tube quite slowly. I used a fake 'finger' silicone spreader and an old cedit card to smooth all the sealant under the edges of the glass and all across the seam of the roof and the side of the car.

Then I let it sit in the sunshine for a couple of hours to set. (I went and cut the grass).

Once dry I reassembled in reverse.

Tomorrow I hose it and see if it has worked!!!
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the hose on the car last night. Couldn't see any new water coming in although the carpet and underneath the carpet is still wet. I'll only know for sure once that has dried out that the leak has stopped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it rained all night and this morning the carpet was dry so it looks like the leak is sorted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear seat belt is wet! Lol. What a kerfuffle.
I only sealed the front when I fixed the other leak so I guess now I need to take the trim off from the rear and seal all the way along.
At least now I'm pretty sure I know exactly how to do it

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Removed the rear section of the roof trim tonight to seal it and found the following.
Flaked off paint at the seam and fine crack along it.

So I siliconed the bejesus out of it. All the way along. Around the end and around the bare bits.
Hopefully that's it sorted.
By contrast you can see the leaky end versus the end that was resealed by Honda a couple of years ago.

Leaky end

End sealed by Honda

1 - 20 of 23 Posts