2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Bit of a long running issue with my car (08 plate 2.2 diesel)

The Aircon has been playing up for some time now but basically from a cold start I get around 10 minutes of nice cold air, then thats it - the aircon compressor clutch disengages and won't re-engage.

I figured it might be the compressor clutch so I ordered some spacers and got my local mechanic to take a quick look, he's convinced it isn't the clutch as it does work but stops working after a while - he says if it was faulty it wouldn't work at all.

He says its more likely a sensor or thermostat telling the compressor to shut off

So if it is a thermostat / sensor does this mean a big bill from a main dealer ? Does anyone have a similar experience with their aircon/climate control and if so what was the gremlin ?

BTW - I don't think there is a leak as I had the aircon gas tested last year by a garage and they didn't find a leak.

Over to you guys / gals

:frown2:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

Rick - I did order a replacement relay last year when the problem started occurring, it didn't solve the issue but I might have bought a dodgy one, so I've ordered the 39794-SDA-A05 part number mentioned in the aircon relay thread and I'll give it a try - its worth another £15 before going down a more expensive route.

I'm going to try the aircon diag test , looks quite daunting but I'll give it my best shot - thanks Farqui

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
A mate of mine had a similar problem on a 2008 crv were the aircon worked sometimes and sometimes not. Aircon place told him he needed a new compressor but as I had the old known to fail relay we thought we would give it a go as the relay did work and i just upgraded it as a precaution. Aircon now works perfectly so it was a dodgy relay that sometimes worked and sometimes not.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right

- Tried the new relay, no change
- checked fuses 7 and 36, not blown.
- Tried the diag test from the wiki, no sensors coming up as faulty
- checked the gas with the local Kwik Fit, it was low so they topped it up, still no improvement though.

The only thing I can think it can be is the compressor or the compressor clutch, but if it was the clutch would it work intermittently or not at all ?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update
-------

Finally all sorted.

Tired of trying to diagnose the problem so booked it in with Balmer Lawn Honda - Brockenhurst.

Great service and the dealership went the extra mile to solve the issue, albeit very costly - in the end it was the compressor that needed replacing.

Eyewatering bill of £798 [smilie=sad.gif] , but at least my cabin is icy cool again.

one day I'll be one of the lucky ones with a cheap fix... one day!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pleased you got it sorted - was it the whole compressor? Did they try to fix the clutch setting at all or mention it?
How long is the guarantee for the new compressor if you don't mind me asking?
Really missed air con today - temps outside 29 degrees and a sugar thermometer probed into my air vent read 37 degrees! So it's warming the hot air too!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pleased you got it sorted - was it the whole compressor? Did they try to fix the clutch setting at all or mention it?
How long is the guarantee for the new compressor if you don't mind me asking?
Really missed air con today - temps outside 29 degrees and a sugar thermometer probed into my air vent read 37 degrees! So it's warming the hot air too!

Yeah they got the whole thing out and bench tested it , I mentioned the clutch shim fix but they were adamant that it was the compressor itself not the clutch, which figures as the clutch was working intermittently.

This is a non Honda branded replacement as they were quoting well over 4 figures for the genuine Honda part, I think its a 12 month warranty on the part.

It is a relief to get aircon back, I was managing without it but when it rains and the weather is humid it was getting impossible to clear the windscreen,

hope you get yours sorted soon [smilie=thumbup.gif]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info - I'm not sure I want or can afford to pay that much for a part that is only guaranteed a year. If I do anything I'll take it to a mechanic and try the shim fix first.

On the getting in touch with Honda issue - I tried to get them to send me the bulletin of the known issue of relay failing - they won't oblige for some reason.

Probably not keeping this car beyond next April due to this issue. I won't be replacing with another Honda I'm sorry to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts