2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, saying Hi to all as a new member.

Can anyone assist with a query. My wife's Civic 1400 just 3 year old has failed MOT as it requires rear pads. It has a single piston sliding calipers and I can just about remove the sliding piston assembly as the piston does not want to retract. Having got that part free, how do I retract the piston sufficiently to fit the new pads? I presume the piston screws clockwise back into the housing but do not want to force. Any advice??

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Do you have a windback tool? If not you can get them in Halfords, for 20 quid (I know I just bought one :) ). The piston doesn't as I recall go back straight it twists back in. Others I'm sure will know much more than me..... If it needs force it may need the pressure to be relieved using the plug on the bake line, but I would reccomend seeking proper help before touching that... :)

Welcome aboard.

Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I'm attempting mine at the moment, but a windback tool should cost no more than 20 quid (unless you buy the sets, I got quoted 60 quid for a set that does every make....!!!!!!!).

You can aaprently make one, but I preferred just to get a proper one...

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
just remember to remove the brake reservoir cover under the bonnet when winding it back

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
just remember to remove the brake reservoir cover under the bonnet when winding it back
Take care doing this on the front ones, place a cloth over the top. I have seen people push the piston back a bit to quickly and shoot brake fluid all over the paintwork [smilie=pissedoff.g:[smilie=crying.gif]

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Hi and welcome to the place :D

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
If it's Honda, they'll charge an arm and a leg if you've already bought the pads, 187pounds to do front and back!!!! Most garages now won't touch your own pads either (some even quote BS H&S regs saying yours might not be good enough)....

Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Even they are reluctant around here!!! Couldn't find one prepared to do it for less than 80 quid!

Tom

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I have been quoted £85 (notes!) to replace discs and pads all round if I supply the parts. I'm happy with that as if I tried fitting them myself something would happen. (Probably not good either!!)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
That's not too bad, but I'm finding doing the brakes rather easy :) In fact I can't belive I have ever paid anyone to do it for me.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just been on the Halfords web site. 2 wind back tools available, one for pistons with left handed thread. Am I correct in thinking the Civic pistons are on a right hand thread?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I think so. TBH, halfords ones, having checked are about 10 quid more expensive than better ones from GSF......

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Welcome to the madness

1 - 20 of 25 Posts