2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2006 2.0 civic a few months ago.
The drivers side dipped beam headlamp went out last night so I went to Halfords to buy a replacement (so far, so good)
When I looked under the bonnet I found a warnimg on the cover at the back of the lamp unit telling me that there was a voltage of 25,000 inside ! !
I phoned my local Honda garage who informed me that would be best bringing the car in because the bumper assembly has to come off in order to fit a new bulb !
Is this correct ? It seems like getting a sigmoidoscopy to see if my teeth are ok !

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Can just unscrew the cap and fit yourself. No need to remove the bumper at all unless you have hands like the hulk/ you're completely useless lol. Cap twists off, if I remember correctly the dipped beam bulb is the one at the top, sidelights below.

Also doubt it operates at 25,000 volts, as remember a car battery is 12v :) lol take keys out and you definately won't get a shock.

Reactions: laurie

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I'd imagine you have HIDs hence the high voltage warning? They operate at around 12000V I think.

I'd leave a good few minutes after turning the ignition off before replacing the bulbs as the ballasts can hold residual charge for a while.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
You have HIDs which are much better and brighter than standard bulbs, and tend to last much longer.

DONT go to the dealer, they are lying about taking the bumper off and will also charge c. £80 for the bulb! You can get them much cheaper on here or ebay. Mr JP sells a pair for £20

The OEM ones are 4300K (Yellowish light), whereas he sells 5000k (Pure white), 6000K (pure white with a slight hint of blue) and 8000k (Bluish white)... See here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinf...y-k-rating-new-low-price-only-20-inc-p-p.html

And are fairly easy to fit... def do not need to remove the bumper!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, I just got back from Halfords ( Car Numpty me ) the guy in there told me that I would have to go to a dealer and was looking at £130 just for the bulb ! But, he said that on the good side, I would probably get a divorce out of it !
The bulb is an Osram xenarc ox3 d2r 35w 66050.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I don't understand how a 2006 type r has HIDs?

And Honda will really charge £130 to change a bulb?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I don't understand how a 2006 type r has HIDs?

And Honda will really charge £130 to change a bulb?
I would imagine they would remove the battery to make installing the bulb easier. But even at main dealer rates, £130 does seem a bit steep.

I assumed it was a 7th gen.
Same, 8th Gen Type R wasn't released until 2007.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
.....Daedalus.

Reactions: mpn_daedalus

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
???? You do this a lot... and I don't get it lol .... Am I being stupid??
Nah mate just ignore me. Just a bit of banter thats ongoing with mpn_daedalus above. Apologies for the confusion. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.