2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been on here since the very beginning and don't post as much as I did in the past..

Hoping some people can give me some options here..

Basically the civic 1.8 type S.. Multiple cosmetic upgrades... 55k miles on the clock .. 2007 plate car..

Took the car in the other day for some lights to be fitted.. That was done as per Honda shoddy work but hey.. They come on so there's a suprise..

Before this though, one of the mechanics / tech lads (early 20s) took the civic from the car park.. Launching it in first out for a "spin" .. Both myself and my cousin - prospective buyer were there watching at the time..

Anyway .. The car jerked and he rid the clutch I would say a good 15-20 meters nearly stalling the car as it squatted .. Aside from being shocked.. My cousin joked about his appalling car control..

Anyway after the car was done he came back and handed the keys to me, and stated.. Looks like you need a new clutch on that, it's slipping. Maybe a new flywheel too..

So I laugh at the guy.. 5 years of ownership.. Clutch not slipped once or hesitated..

I've been driving it two days since.. And now every single time I pull off from lights the car judders .. I'm not saying the problem is solely because of the mechanic it's just odd that I have no problem with it and suddenly every time I set off it will do this..

Honda want to charge £1600 for the fix..

I'm assuming I can buy these parts elsewhere..

BUT what I'm asking is your opinion guys.. It's a fairly old car now.. I can't pin it on a tech.. (atleast I don't think so)..

Any options for clutch and fly wheel that you guys think can work?

Please post them up on here.

Needless to say I'm hating driving the civic now and I'm furious at the idea of having to pay that money before I sell the car on..

I only wanted £6000 for the car itself.. And I've spent £7000 on mods since 2007 anyway!

Opinions welcome!!!

Barney

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fonzey..

I am thinking that..

It was going to my cousin that's the problem.. I wouldn't sell family a rotten egg so to speak..

Just annoyed :-(

BOOBOO- thanks for the links.. I'll have to make a few phone calls

Think I will get it checked independently first..

Anyone think it could be the spark plugs?

I was going to put some fuel additive / cleaner through the car as well to see if it clears anything

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Ah sorry I didn't twig that, I'd never pass on a rotten egg to a friend/family member but on a couple of occasions in the past I've bailed out on a car which I wasn't willing to fix and fobbed it off onto a dealership!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree.. Px for an s2000 maybe..

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any 1.8 civic drivers upgraded their flywheel ? After market?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Mines doing it and only does it when it's very cold outside (even when the car is warmed up)... It did before Xmas and was getting paronoid I need a new clutch... But it went away as the weather was milder over the last 6 or so weeks... I know Honda stealers will say new clutch... But I refuse to believe this on a 35k car and I've done the 'pull away in 4th test' and the car stalls as it should - no slipping at all!

I think I will go to stealers.. But with the attitude that if they do want to change the clutch, the it's done under warranty.

I was thinking today it could be the engine mounts being affected by the cold?? Whatever it is.. Is very annoying, so i feel your pain :(

Btw.... New flywheel ??? How can the numbskull know that from driving it??? How can they wear apart from teeth being shredded when starting?? Just another example of these so called techs being trained in the art of fleecing customers than actually being proper mechanics :(

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bog
;)

Cheers for the help..

Today it did it only 5/10 times.. So it's improving

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Mine seemed better after a thrash on the M25?? I think I'm going to ride out the cold weather (literally) and see if it gets better with wammer weather.

Let's know how you get on too :)

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed.. It happens sporadically.. I'll keep you posted..
Thinking maybe need to clean the engine with that BK44 stuff or whatever it's called..
Fuel pump perhaps I don't know..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.