2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is my first post in this forum and unfortunetly its one with a problem:(

Had my Type R for about 4 months now all of a sudden had some problems with it last week it hesitated when i put my foot to the floor. Drove it a little longer to get it warmer and it cured itself.

I then went on holiday for a week, drove dow nthe road and recieved a check engine message and VSA light on.

Is this common has anyone else experinced this?

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Could be throttle sensor or even the maf sensor but best to stick it on diagnostics to get a code, how's your oil level, and they can hesitate whilst cold (like kangaroo). Owned for 4mths was it a dealer buy or private

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking wheel sensor or something, it got worse as I drove it. I've got warranty will book it in tomorrow.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Google it and it comes up with quite a few Honda's, hesitant then vsa warning, all answers came up with throttle sensor or the maf but before you take it I would check all fluid levels just incase, because if any of these are low and it has helped towards your problems then it could knacker your warranty for that part, it happened to me and it turned out expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response dweezle, just went out topped up the oil as it was a little low still no better.

I was reading that the car has an electronic throttle, which reminded me i recently jump started it back to life just before the problems occured.

I'll book it in tomorrow and see how it goes.

Dweezle what coilour is your ctr, noticed yopur based in Leicester.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
Im not in leicester itself more leicestershire little trip up the 47 towards peterborough and im there, i've been leicester once in my civic visited Big johns autos near the train station and i wont be going back, the traffic was mad everybody seems to go the same way no matter what lane their in, constant stop start stop start not good in a type r. I think i spent most of my time kangerooing around the city, it scares the life out of me.

·
GC
4,438 Posts
Im not in leicester itself more leicestershire little trip up the 47 towards peterborough and im there, i've been leicester once in my civic visited Big johns autos near the train station and i wont be going back, the traffic was mad everybody seems to go the same way no matter what lane their in, constant stop start stop start not good in a type r. I think i spent most of my time kangerooing around the city, it scares the life out of me.
This has been my biggest gripe since I've had the car. It's worst when accelerating a bit in 2nd say up to about 3k and then taking foot off, it jerks really badly. Thought it would go when I got my O2 sensor replaced but nope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When cold the vtec wont kickin but should be smooth under 5k when cold.

I'm guessing its something to with abs or wheel sensor because it revs fine, when in gear and driveing does the problem occur.

I'll find out on Thursday as its all booked in.

Thanks for response will keep up to date

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
hi,you could spray a touch of brake cleaner on your maf sensor in the air filter housing,let it dry off and refit,this worked on my celica a treat.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
From what I've read a lot of type r's are hesitant when cold and from what I gather its normal, your vtec won't work until your oil is up to temp (I'm sure that's right). When you went on holiday was your car stood still all week, because I've heard they don't like to be sat for a long amount of time and need a good ragging to clear it out, not sure if a week would do this though. What fuel are you running stick V power in it for a few tanks and a can of BG44K how old is the car because that BG44K is good stuff just used it myself

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
hi,you could spray a touch of brake cleaner on your maf sensor in the air filter housing,let it dry off and refit,this worked on my celica a treat.
Never heard of having to clean a FN2 Maf and tbh I wouldntbduevto the risk of damaging it.

They are quite lumpy when cold as the ecu is set to pull timing to heat the CAT up. The CEL I would put down to an ECU fart especially if it hasn't arisen since - it does happen, a bit of moisture etc crept in with it being rested.

The hesitation I would check the likes of Air filter cleanliness and plug state/gapping before going deeper, again is it constantly doing this ???

·
Registered
183 Posts
I cleaned my maf today with fast evaporating brake clutch and electrical cleaner. Honest opinion I can't tell any difference and it didn't really look dirty. I just always do it as its so easy to do. Saying that I didn't have any particularly bad hesitation problems. Might be worth you trying it for how long it takes to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dropped off at the garage this evening hopefully get an answer tomorrow.

It's always been fairly smooth when cold little high on idle as to be expected but it's never had a flat spot.

It revs fine when not in gear, its only when your driveing stick your foot to the floor it does nothing for 3 sec's then shoots off flat spots again.

I know everyone has mentioned MAF sensor but im puttiong money on a wheel sensor/ABS part. Trying to cut the power because it thinks the wheels are spinning.

Due to response i take it no one else has experinced this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts