2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal at all?

The car seems very lethergic when cold, it disapears after a couple of minutes but it seems very hesitant at first?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Sounds like dodgy spark plugs - change them - Tegiwa in here, have a very good offer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, its only on 36k but it is 5 years old, I'll look through the history see if theres any record of them being changed

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
My moneys on the std ignition retard now the weathers got pretty cold it'll have stepped up a notch.

It's a feature on the Honda ECU to warm the cat up quickly for emission compliance.

FYI I recently saw a set of plugs from a 70k K20A ( DC5) that had never been changed and they looked fine- no damage etc to impair running.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does seem to go hand in hand with colder weather, I'm not all that concerned about it, just not used to it

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
In any case, at 5 years old (like my 1.8), it's time to do the "preventive maintenance" thing

Plugs, drop links, suspension bushes, brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil, fuel filter, etc.

Had all of these done this year (drop links and fuel filter were actually 11 months ago)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
If it was plugs it would be clearly evident when they would be doing the most work, ie. at high rpm on WOT as the flame would be blown out etc with the cylinder pressures.

The fact you say it is at first start, it feels lathergic etc points to the Ignition retard. It's nothing to worry about and in fact there is little you can do.

If you had a race manifold and Hondata you can switch this feature off as it is not required when you have no CAT.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The spark plugs are scheduled for a change at 60k miles I believe, or its 6th year service. Mines OK and the cars only covered 40k and its 5 years old. I'd try VPower fuel and see if it improves. The drive by wire system don'thelp either!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its only on its second fill of vpower since I've owned it and its definitely worse the colder it is, im also finding it hard to get used to dbw too so ok not helping but i have no concerns for the car it doesn't feel like an issue more of something im not used too

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he means that on for example my old car, you can lift off the pedal without much of a jerk but on this car if you lift off too quickly when cold it can be more sensitive

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not that anyway, I notice the slight hesitation when pulling out at the end of the street onto the main road which is a busy 40 zone, literally 10 seconds later the hesitation is gone

Its more of a case of me not being used to the car

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends if its frosty or not but most days yes however I dont let it rev over 2k until main road and then 3k for at least 15/20 mins

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
For the first 30-60 seconds or so on a start the ECU is in whats called "open loop". The lambda has no input during this time as it is pre heating and so the ECU is reading straight from its own tables for fuel and ignition so probably why it feels lazy as they can't be perfect for every atmospheric situation. During this time too it is retarding ignition to warm the CAT up which restricts power.

You definitely don't have an issue its just one of the cars behaviour habits :)

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
check your air filter and clean as necessary. i had this issue but after getting the car back from a service yesterday this issue was virtually gone this morning

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is was serviced 200 miles ago, it was -2 this morning and it didn't do it, I've had the car just over two weeks and its just a case of me not being used to it, there isn't a problem

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Mine does it too for the first minute of driving it cold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts