2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thought I'd add all the stuff I've been doing and got planned for the 9th Gen Civic I picked up at Christmas, I've future changes planned but I'm slowly working through correction on faults and missed services items. I've got a 2.2 i-Dtec in Golden brown and I'm pairing it with black.

So far I've,

Fixed broken DS Folding mirror.
Refurbed Wheels.
Full Service after purchase.
Changed Pollen Filter.
Re-dyed Wheel trims until can decide between spraying or buying colour coded black.
Installed a K&N panel filter.
Had gearbox oil changed.

Things I've got planned.

Brakes upgrade to Brembo discs and pads with new brakelines on 19th July (this will be worthwhile whether the map stays or goes)
Stage 1 Re-map 16th August with Celtic Tuning.
Replace dampers with something as close to OEM as possible.
Remove rear civic and honda badge and spray them black.
Black sports cap.
Machine polish to improve existing paint.
Respray of passenger skirt for pre-purchase bump and respray of rear DS door as a kindly old lady reversed into me and is footing the bill for full repair.

The mechanic doing the brakes is going to strip the calipers down and fully clean and refurb them if I've got time I might paint them if not I'll just be happy knowing they are clean and working correctly.

That's all for now I'll add some photo's when I'm off work and after some of these jobs are completed. Can't really think of much else to change on this car performance-wise think the added power from the map will be nice and the improved brakes will be a bonus.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had my brakes done today. All improved spec discs and pads. Mechanic found my driver's rear caliper was completely broken so replaced that as well as stripping and cleaning up existing calipers. He's putting the braided brake lines in next month alongside an oil and oil filter change and EGR clean.

Now for 50 miles or so of gentle braking lol

Next up is the remap!

(No pics yet as the cars filthy)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh purchased a bilt hamber medium clay bar to give the car a good deep clean when I'm off next month. Gonna try getting the wingmirror caps and wheel arches all sprayed black over next few weeks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all,

Yesterday the CelticTuning guys came to my work and remapped my 2.2 iDtec. Took them little over an hour. I've not really had much chance to drive for a prolonged period due to work but in the 24hrs since I've noticed a huge difference. The car no longer demands gear changes for driving in 3rd at around 25mph. No longer feeling like as approaching junctions I'm having to drop gears until I'm trying to go into first before stopping. The power increase is really noticeable especially from the 20-60 range. Really pushes you back into the seat more when you do give it more. Throttle response is markedly improved, during a call out last night overtaking on a dual carriageway someone doing 25 the pickup was instant and really satisfying. It's going to take a few weeks to readjust driving style as I'm noticing more wheelspin due to change in throttle response and from previously having to change gear more often.

Eco mode no longer destroys the throttle and the car overall is so much smoother. I'll add to this post as the weeks go by. I've noticed for around town this remap has caused such a huge difference in the car. Going to take it out today for a longer run and next week I'm in Liverpool so that will be the main test.

Remap cost 300 as I had a £25 discount code. More expensive than a lot of places nearby but from the results and speaking with CelticTuning the last few months I was happy to go with them. The Technician who did the remap spoke to me about other cars he'd done and really knew his stuff. Explained a lot of what he was doing and how these engines are really popular for one of their stage 1 maps as the increase is so impressive.

Overall I'm really happy so far and I'd recommend the company and the Remap to anyone with the same car.Technician said BHP should be around 215-220 but not to be surprised if it's higher if tested on a dyno.

Also just ordered a black civic badge to replace the silver one. Looking for a black honda H for the back now as well if anyone knows where to find one.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Good to hear that the remap is working well for you, it certainly does make a difference.

A word or warning though, leaving the car in higher gears (3+) and booting it from low rpm will shorten the life of the OEM clutch. It simply cannot handle the power of a remapped 2.2. The DMF will suffer too so take care and shift properly. Otherwise enjoy :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear that the remap is working well for you, it certainly does make a difference.

A word or warning though, leaving the car in higher gears (3+) and booting it from low rpm will shorten the life of the OEM clutch. It simply cannot handle the power of a remapped 2.2. The DMF will suffer too so take care and shift properly. Otherwise enjoy :)
Yeah if I'm in higher gears with low rpm it really means I'm in town so don't really have much call for sudden acceleration. However it's really nice to know its there when needed for the occasional overtake.

Hopefully the clutch and flywheel will last till the new year or longer as I'm planning to replace/upgrade (keeping funds aside) as it should be hitting 80k by then.

I'm off work today so been mainly driving around town and it sounds so daft but just not having to constantly change gears is such a nice thing. The car just seems happier I can slot into 3rd and the cars happy below and above whereas before any slight difference and it just wanted the gear changing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My celtic remap is booked for 24th sept.. can't wait. only a 1.6d but still should be a big improvement :D
If it's anything like mine Rob you'll find yourself with a happier car. Don't know how much difference there is in drive with the 1.6 and 2.2 but this thing was awful on anything but motorways and even then had it's moments. It's nice to know they give you 14 days no hassle refund and restore for peace of mind as well.

You'll have to let me know how much of a difference you get. 65+bhp without having to change any parts has just been amazing really. Already noticing economy improvement in town as I'm not having to shift nonstop.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think I experienced a moment of clutch slip today, was accelerating and in fifth around 57mph and I could swear the revs went for a moment. Tried the car again. Wondering if it was just a momentarily thing from me accelerating a bit too rapidly?

I do realise I'll more than likely need a new clutch sooner with a remap but I'm hoping to get a few months first. Celtic have been great messaged them and they said if it slips again or detoriates they are happy to come and either remove the map or even fine tune it to reduce bhp and torque to see if it helps the clutch. Thinking of saying take it back to 200bhp and 300lb torque? only a small reduction but might take some strain off the clutch. Like I said I've been driving for near a week with no issue. Motorway and around town and this was the only instance (I can't actually even remember if I'd tried changing gear too soon or had clutch down)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a happier note just ordered some led conversions for my low beams. They're poor at the minute and I figured they'd be better for night driving as high beams are rarely used by myself.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Be careful with the beam patterns, given the pre-facelift doesn't have projectors - Can end up worse without LEDs!

That being said, you can find the Pre-facelift HID headlights reasonably cheap, and they fit - @i-VTEC2012 has fitted some, and they are very much night and day :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be careful with the beam patterns, given the pre-facelift doesn't have projectors - Can end up worse without LEDs!

That being said, you can find the Pre-facelift HID headlights reasonably cheap, and they fit - @i-VTEC2012 has fitted some, and they are very much night and day :p
ah really? ****s sake! luckily ordered from Amazon so they'll go straight back. I'll just upgrade the halogen bulbs to something stronger/whiter then. Not really keen on messing around too much with HID's. Saying that the halogen bulbs are a complete rip off for the decent ones.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-mk9-Right-xenon-HEADLIGHT-Mk9-FN2-Right-Xenon-R3/202574987310?hash=item2f2a69002e:g:RqgAAOSwVCpcSaPa

These are the HIDs I'm thinking of. As said, they have been retrofitted in the past - Bit pricey though. Being full replacements, they're all clear when it comes to MOT too.
Far too expensive mate. I've cancelled the LED's bit gutted but then again a set of decent new halogens should look fine. I've got LED's on here and spots so light isn't an issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit of a quandary at the moment. Cars had a few instances of slipping under power. Been in touch with mechanic who does all my work. He's stated if changing clutch then change DMF at same time. However the cost of this work is looking between 1-2k. Celtic have offered to remove the map and refund the cost
(which is brilliant of them) but I'm torn. I'd put aside money for a new clutch in case of this problem but not for a DMF.

1)Do I remove the map and hope clutch goes back to how it was before the change.
2)Do I risk just changing clutch and then finding out the DMF is the issue.(Cox had 2.2 clutch kit in stock)
3)Do nothing and run car until clutch/DMF goes and hopefully have enough cash to replace both.

I remapped the car as it didn't feel well tuned beforehand and afterwards it felt markedly better. If the slip is only due to occasional instances of hard driving should I not worry and just run car? I'll not lie I do give the car the boots on my commute home some times on backroads but usually it's either motorway or around town trips of 3-4miles several times a day.

I'm really at a loss if the work by Honda is 2k and the car is worth 6-7k then I'm conflicted as I hadn't planned for that kind of outlay at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
The OEM clutch will ratchet up and stop slipping periodically.

Try and give the clutch an easier life, let the car rev, don't go WOT from low rpm in the higher gears - change down a gear instead.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The OEM clutch will ratchet up and stop slipping periodically.

Try and give the clutch an easier life, let the car rev, don't go WOT from low rpm in the higher gears - change down a gear instead.
I've not really been doing that to be honest Farqui. I've only really noticed slip up in the higher gears. If I'm accelerating quickly I do tend to let my revs get up before a change. As for on the motorway it's basically up to 70 and cruise control.

I'm trying to give the clutch an easy life in previous cars I've tended to ride the clutch a little at times but since I got the remap I've found myself noticeably changing gear less and leaving the clutch alone.

Really is a tough decision.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got my quote from Honda in Stockton. £777 for clutch alone. To replace flywheel it's £1342 extra. Said flywheel is part cost plus half an hour extra labour. They're charging 300 for clutch itself. Told them I can get Honda parts for clutch for £230. They honestly just said it would be more expensive to fit a clutch I provided than to fit a clutch from themselves (both OEM Honda parts)

Absolutely disgraceful. £2119 is a third of the cars actual value. I've sourced the parts myself for 650. I'm going to find an independent with Honda experience and get a quote for the labour.

Oh they need the car for 2 full days and they won't provide a courtesy car.

I'm removing the map and Celtic have offered a full refund. Can't fault them at all excellent company. Part of me wants to ask them to pull the map back but that seems to defeat the point. I didn't map for raw power and torque.

I'll keep trying independents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts