2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Newby to the site. I have rage 19’ diamond cut alloys on my fn2 and they have seen better days. Kerbed and scratch. I want to get them painted black To match the car I have been quoted £130 a wheel as all four need doing.
Just throwing the question out there has anyone resprayed there own 19” rages if so would you recommend it and what paints to buy. Or should I fork out the money to get them recut?

Any advice or how tos is very welcome

Thank u all.

Sy

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

£130 to paint a wheel sounds a bit expensive, where are you based?

I understand that diamond cutting them again would be costly tho.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I've just paid 60 a wheel for a refurb (stripped and powder coated). I think diamond cut refurb was about 95 a wheel. Mine are standard 18's.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyCade

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
That sounds a lot unless they are thinking they are diamond cutting them again too.

As for painting them yourself, IMO, hard work to get a really good finish that will last. It's all in the prep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would sell them and buy some lighter aftermarket 18" rims /forum/images/Civinfo_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Yes I looked at smaller wheels but I do like the way the rages look on the car. I will have to look about maybe for some.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all thank you for the replies to this I think I might have to go to smaller 18” wheels and get them already black. If I do decide to have a go at spraying them I will post pics before and after.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
i replaced my oem wheels with some light 18"s (TE37s) and it made a positive improvement in ride quality and generally makes the car feel nicer to drive

i got the wheels cheap on croooober as they were very tatty - refurb myself on the drive with rattle cans but if you do your prep right you can get a pretty good result, cost me about 30 quid all in.

i really like the look of the 19" rage wheels but i'm glad i decided to go 18" forged /lightweight.

pics of the refurb process on my build thread (link in my sig).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rob.e

thank you for the update i would love to see the pics and see the end result. but i think as Im a newb on the site it is saying that i need to have a post count of 5 before seeing links or signatures. Maybe going for the lights 18' alloys might be a better call, as the ride on the 19' is tough.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
ah.. ok no worries, here's the link.

https://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery-9g/414740-robs-civic-tourer-project-3.html

scroll down to the re-furb pics.

least cost option for you would be diy refurb - if it doesn't end up looking good you could still go for a professional job later, but you might surprise yourself. key to diy refurb is just to take your time and do lots of prep. Rage wheels should be relatively easy to do as they are a simple design.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rob.e

thank you for the link. Just had a look at the alloys you did Wow. brilliant job there. I think after seeing them pictures and what you spent then im going to give it a go on my alloys. As you say if i dont do a great job i do have the option to get them done by a pro.

Thank you again for your advice i will post pics before and after and let you know. Cheers Rob.e

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
i replaced my oem wheels with some light 18"s (TE37s) and it made a positive improvement in ride quality and generally makes the car feel nicer to drive

i got the wheels cheap on croooober as they were very tatty - refurb myself on the drive with rattle cans but if you do your prep right you can get a pretty good result, cost me about 30 quid all in.

i really like the look of the 19" rage wheels but i'm glad i decided to go 18" forged /lightweight.

pics of the refurb process on my build thread (link in my sig).
How cheap was cheap?

Are they a generally reliable website? Fancy some gram lights!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
How cheap was cheap?

Are they a generally reliable website? Fancy some gram lights!
yes croooober is great.

for my Te37's, IIRC they were about 400 quid, plus 200 shipping (cheapest/ slowest option but i was happy to wait/ pay least - surface shipment takes a couple of months). The wheels needed a refurb but otherwise they were spot on, no buckles/cracks/repairs etc just cosmetic tidy up and re-paint needed. There is lots of choice and good descriptions/ pics on the site. Yes it was a leap of faith to buy some wheels from Japan but no regrets - easy process, wheels exactly as described etc.

oh, there was import duty to pay as well, cant remember how much but overall i think the wheels cost me about 800 quid all-in incl refurb. For a set of 18" Rays TE37 forged wheels i'm happy with that :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All

Update on the wheels. I went for the DIY option in the end and I'm happy with the result, took me about 2 days prep work then a full day and a morning primming and spraying. I have uploaded pictures in my garage album if anyone wants to have a look.

Thank you again for comments and advice you guys gave.

Sy

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
Well done, they look decent enough.
I paid £95 a wheel to local tyre fitting company to have my original 18" refurbed.
May sound pricey but that includes removing/refitting/rebalancing tyres and storage for a few days since I don't have the facilities.
Think they sent them to Spit & Polish near Maidstone.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Nice job, they look to have come out well. You have more patience than me lol

Reactions: SyCade

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank guys for the feedback just the test is now how much battering over the winter period they take. And what they look like after.

By the way if anyone is interested:

Sandpaper - Halfords multipack grit £5
Wheel wash - all ready had autogylnn
Decorators tape - b and m
Pack of note cards - Poundland
All paints and primmer from - sprayster.com - £35 the lot

5 x primmer
6 x high gloss

All ready had the finishing sealant spray

So all in all £ 45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts