2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great forum been reading for a couple of weeks now and contributing the odd comment/opinion here and there.

Saddly im not a Civic owner........ yet!

im a finalist at loughborough uni this year, in my masters year on mechanical engineering. i got a job all lined up for when i finish and its going to pay rather well. As im also car-less at the moment, ill need a new car and being quite an excitable fellow when it comes to cars i already began researching!!!

my research has lead me to the Civic Type S (and the C4 VTR+) and thus this website and since being here (and going to a honda stealership to sit in a few cars) im pretty much sold on the Honda! so ill be looking to join the club very soon with a Type S 1.8 of some description!

its a real head vs heart thing (the C4 is cheaper to buy, run, insure etc) but i just know if i buy a C4, every time i get in it ill think...." i could of had an even crazier dash board than this!!!!" ... plus its french :p and citroen are still bottom of the pile in things like the top gear survey.

so i think ill do what i usually do in these situations and, providing nothing better arises between now and a few months time, ill go with the heart.

by summer next year, 2nd hand prices will be just where i want them...hopefully i can find one in black.

so hello!, nice to meet you all.

Alex

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Hello and a warm welcome to Civinfo!

There’s plenty of information to help you here and in the Wiki section too.

Ask any questions you like, we’re a friendly bunch and here to help.

Don’t be shy, feel free to post away, its good to hear new viewpoints.

Great to have you aboard!

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
would you consider buying mine?? great example....thinking about selling

·
Blade Runner
439 Posts
Welcome to the forums Alex. Good choice !!

would you consider buying mine?? great example....thinking about selling
Why would you want to sell your car Guitaralmond? its such a great car you have

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
ive driven an R32.... I took one out this weekend (as well as a Type R which dissappointed me :-(). I just love the sound of that car. Spoken like a true petrolhead lol. Dont hold your breath though because im 22, and with a little insurance shopping it might look like its going to be a pig to insure...

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
i was raised on Jeremy Clarkson, so always after more power. Although I actually think the best thing about owning a Civic is Civinfo. I love this place......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its a desirable colour thats for sure!!! and i love the wheels, tho wouldnt look forward to the tyre bills. if u stil have it and wanna sell it at the start of next summer ill be sure to consider it! though stoke is a bit far from middlesbrough (my home home and where ill be working) it'd probably be worth it for a car like that.

infact while we're here i'd love to hear your thoughts on such things as road noise... in particular at motorway speeds.

in order of annoying-ness for me it goes

1) engine noise.... i couldnt stand the strangled, harsh thrashing tone of my old ford focus

2) wind noise.... the focus's door mirrors were hot spots for nice whistling noises and air rushing through small gaps and intruding on the cabin

3) trye noise/ roar.... this isnt so bad and is also quite dependant on tyre tread pattern and road surface roughness, i havent really found a car where this type of noise really annoyed me (though my dads old rav4 came close). its defo not a problem on new roads, of which there are many up in my neck of the woods.

i dont want a totally silent car because a) its unrealistic and b) id feel rather too detached from the job at hand, but my old focus did get wearysome on the motorway..thank goodness the sony head unit i bought brought the best out of the rather good speaker set up!!!!

Also.... at say 70-85mph, in sixth...what rev's is the engine at? and do you generally have to change down to initiate overtaking? i would imagine you definately would if you wanted to do it in a hurry.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Hello and welcome to Civinfo

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum - it's a very helpful and friendly place :)

Have you thought about the 2.2 diesel version? It's a gem of an engine, all aluminium and quiet on the road. And it pulls very strongly, so overtaking is quick and surprises other drivers methinks! I find the low rev torque of this engine is a relaxing way to quicky cover the miles. It was the availability of this engine coupled with the styling that led me to buy the car (I have the 5 door sport version). Not sure off the top of my head whether insurance is higher for the diesel though.

Mine is fitted with 17" alloys and Michelin PS2 tyres - tyre roar is definitely evident, but I don't find it intrusive, especially on motorways. Can be relatively loud on poor surfaces, again I don't mind it.

Regards,
Morris Minor

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
Hi Alex, welcome!

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Civic, as you said it would be a horrible feeling to have regret every time you got into the C4. Not all French cars are bad though...

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Hi and welcome to Civinfo :D

Congrats on the job and all that :)

Get the Civic - you know it makes sense ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, welcome to the forum - it's a very helpful and friendly place :)

Have you thought about the 2.2 diesel version? It's a gem of an engine, all aluminium and quiet on the road. And it pulls very strongly, so overtaking is quick and surprises other drivers methinks! I find the low rev torque of this engine is a relaxing way to quicky cover the miles. It was the availability of this engine coupled with the styling that led me to buy the car (I have the 5 door sport version). Not sure off the top of my head whether insurance is higher for the diesel though.

Mine is fitted with 17" alloys and Michelin PS2 tyres - tyre roar is definitely evident, but I don't find it intrusive, especially on motorways. Can be relatively loud on poor surfaces, again I don't mind it.

Regards,
Morris Minor
yes i have thought about the diesel and will definately test drive one before making a firm decision. i'll have to see whats available in the area and what petrol prices are like with respect to diesel. also alot of reviews say the engine is not best suited to the civic and that its more at home in the CRV, but the only way to really tell is to try it myself.

going off manufacturers figures i reckon it'd take around 5 years to make back the extra i spent on a diesel (seems to be a £1000 price premium in the used market plus an extra insurance group, but lower tax band)

i only did a preliminary search though so i could be entirely wrong. but if thats the case when i come to buy then i'd have to go petrol because i doubt i'd be keeping the car that long before buying another, (tho wont be far off, if the civics a good car it'll defo have a home for 4 years at least)

thankfully theres no head vs heart battle in the petrol vs diesel debate, ill get which ever makes the most financial sense at the time. diesel does have a satisfying surge, but then i do like to really work petrol engines on back roads!!!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Welcome :D

·
Type-R GT -08
126 Posts
Hi and welcome to Civinfo! :)

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Welcome