2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently using the sony k800 phone with the Civic without any problems but am looking at upgrading my phone to the Nokia N95, I was wondering if anyone has tried using it with the car and what the outcome was as I remember when I got the car I had to do a firmware update on the Sony to get it to match correctly?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
N95

I have just changed ny phone to suit the car (which arrives on Friday) but was put off the N95 (my first choice) by the business team at Orange. The battery life in the current model is apparently very poor, might be worth waiting a while till the new model(s) come out. I opted for a Blackberry Pearl, super!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just changed ny phone to suit the car (which arrives on Friday) but was put off the N95 (my first choice) by the business team at Orange. The battery life in the current model is apparently very poor, might be worth waiting a while till the new model(s) come out. I opted for a Blackberry Pearl, super!
Agree completely with your battery comments about the N95. It is acceptable with no bluetooth turned on or GPRS... but you can expect a few hours maximum with these turned on.

I also had the Blackberry pearl, but I sent it back as it crashed none stop and web surfing is rubbish.. but if you're not on the web all the time it's a great little phone..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I now have the N95 and it's in discovery mode (if that's going to conneciton settings and bluetooth then saying "my phones visibility - show to all" is set but the Civic refuses to see it and times out each time.

Any help would be appreciated on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
N95

I've been using the N95 as a test phone for work for about 3 months and don't suffer from poor battery life (I'm no mobile expert but I like this phone). Lucky I guess.

There were no problems connecting the N95 to my Civic EX but I do have an issue with some calls. What happens is I'll dial a number (through the phonebook in the Civic) and the call will go through as normal (i.e. you will here it ring) but as soon as the call is answered the hands free drops out and you can't hear or talk using hands free.

If you try and redial you get a message saying that the mobile is already in use. If you open the N95 (having pulled over into a layby) you will see briefly a message hanging up the call and you can use the phone again.

Sometimes this problem will reoccur several times in a row.

However I have found a "fix" for this. If you open the N95 you won't get this problem.

Bit war and piece but there you go....:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange perhaps it's just me then the Civic just kept timing out. Using bluetooth from the computer or my old phone works fine though?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sonicm - are you talking about pairing the phone? I think when honda says discovery mode it means make your phone search for the car. When I pair my N95 I go to the bluetooth option in tools and tab to 'paired devices' and then search for one. Honda HFT comes up and it asks me for the code which I just told the car to use.

Loopback - I have exactly the same issue, it seems so random and pretty frustrating sometimes...

As for battery life, it is indeed shocking, but more than 'a couple of hours' - I'm just used to charging it overnight these days. Dreadful compared to my first phone (nokia 8310 a few years back which lasted a week or so) but I suppose you cant expect too much considering how much tech they packed in. Just a shame I'm having to consider getting a charging cradle for it when the bluetooth is so convenient otherwise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh thats what it is then i was waiting for the car to find the phone not the phone to search for the car.. thanks ill give that a go later.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah it took me a moment to figure that one out too. I'm pretty sure on my dads x type the car finds the phone but I might be wrong...it's a one-time thing anyway so I suppose it doesnt make much difference.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
just a thought on battery life - I ran an extension to a 3 way cig lighter which I put in the armrest cubby.
You can then plug a normal phone charger lead into that, and have it all tucked away out of sight :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts