2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've been a member for a week now and I've been lurking in the shadows, reading through posts in the almost impossible task of making the decision to buy or not to buy a civic [smilie=cheeky-grin:

I'm only 26 but I've driven quite a few cars for varying lengths of time (Polo, Golf, Jetta, A-Class, SL Class, Fiesta, C-Max), but most of my driving experience is Ford.

I've been reading through the problems that the new Civic has and whilst its been fairly offputting, its nothing I haven't already encountered with the other cars I've had the displeasure of driving. My last car (C-Max 2.0 Zetec Diesel) I had for nearly 3 years, from brand new and there were times I wish I could have driven it to the dealership, put a brick on the gas pedal, set the car alight and removed the handbrake :mad:. So I'm not adverse to a car with problems, although I don't want to spend my entire period of ownership, finding the faults because the dealer is a) too lazy or b) incapable.

I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a Civic, but I wondered about a few things.... :confused::confused::confused:

First - New or Used? I've always driven new cars, or ex-demos (which is essentially the same) but the prices between the brand spanking new and the 1-2 year old cars seem unusually close and I'm fairly tight lol ;)

Second - Spec level. Now I am a gadget man (my wife will attest to this) so I'm going for all the bits (including the sat nav and HFT) but I'm having trouble deciding whether I should go for the EX, the Type-S or the S - GT ?

I don't really need 5 doors as Its just my wife and I (for the moment anyhow) but then 5 doors is probably more convenient in the long run (especially with the lack of seat position memory... that could grate a bit). I've driven a 2.2 diesel EX and I enjoyed it (the engine and ride), so I wondered what the difference in ride quality was like between the 3 and 5 doors (if any).

I also quite like the extras (albeit sparse) on the S - GT (the Panoramic roof specifically as there isn't really much else)

Third - Colour! if only that Orange was bringhter!!! and whats with discontinuing the Blue??!!

Having read alot of the posts in here I also wonder when I'm looking at the used civics, why on earth there are so many available with low mileage... makes me suspicious that one of you guys owned it and couldnt take the rattles! lol

Thanks for any help

[smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Welcome!

Only Vivid Blue is discontinued, not Royal Blue.

If, like me, you like gadgets, go for the EX or GT.
I am very happy with the toys in my EX.

3 or 5 doors.. well that is for you to decide, but the 5 door is very practical with the magic seats and everything.
The 3 door has a wider rear track, but never driven one myself.

With regard to problems, some cars have them - yes.
But so do some cars of any brand.
A lot is down to how well the dealer deals with it...
Check out the Wiki for dealer reviews.

I would say that a new one is probably a better car than an early 06 car.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Hi and welcome to civinfo. :)

FWH just about sums it up really.

I had a go in the 2.2 Type S and thought it was great, I opted for the Type R but really like the 2.2 diesel engine. :D

If you decide you don't need the 5 door model, a 2.2 Type S GT is a great choice. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome to civinfo. :)

FWH just about sums it up really.

I had a go in the 2.2 Type S and thought it was great, I opted for the Type R but really like the 2.2 diesel engine. :D

If you decide you don't need the 5 door model, a 2.2 Type S GT is a great choice. ;)
I'd love the Type-R, but I drive about 20k miles a year and I'd only make it to work maybe 3 days a week before I ran out of petrol lol!

Welcome!

Only Vivid Blue is discontinued, not Royal Blue.

If, like me, you like gadgets, go for the EX or GT.
I am very happy with the toys in my EX.

3 or 5 doors.. well that is for you to decide, but the 5 door is very practical with the magic seats and everything.
The 3 door has a wider rear track, but never driven one myself.

With regard to problems, some cars have them - yes.
But so do some cars of any brand.
A lot is down to how well the dealer deals with it...
Check out the Wiki for dealer reviews.

I would say that a new one is probably a better car than an early 06 car.
Oh I know that all cars are likely to have some probs.. you only have to own 1 ford to know that lol.. but I think you're right... as the new shape was only released in 06... perhaps I'll go with new.. or wait a while (which is going to kill me.. I HATE public transport) Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
t... as the new shape was only released in 06... perhaps I'll go with new.. or wait a while (which is going to kill me.. I HATE public transport) Thanks for your replies!
Should be some good deals going on the last 07 cars right now...

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, company car that will be changing in August - and the two front runners are another EX or a SGT (2.2 either way :D)

Memory seats (or lack of) shouldn't be too much of an issue if you don't have people in the back very often :)

The S (apparently) gives a slightly 'tighter' ride due to the upgraded suspension, although I've found my EX to be fine anyway :)

The only EX gadgets that you can't get on the S are the Xenon lights, which may or may not be an issue for you :)

let us know how you get on! :D

And check out the dealers in here for some possible bargins on late '07s or demos... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in a similar boat, company car that will be changing in August - and the two front runners are another EX or a SGT (2.2 either way :D)

Memory seats (or lack of) shouldn't be too much of an issue if you don't have people in the back very often :)

The S (apparently) gives a slightly 'tighter' ride due to the upgraded suspension, although I've found my EX to be fine anyway :)

The only EX gadgets that you can't get on the S are the Xenon lights, which may or may not be an issue for you :)

let us know how you get on! :D

And check out the dealers in here for some possible bargins on late '07s or demos... :D

I sure will! glad too see others are having a similar dilemma. I was thinking about ordering through one of those reverse auction sites (autoebid) as it seems they're able to procure deals more readily. The dealerships I visited refused to budge more than £600 off the price (both new and used) citing their "margins aren't that great so I can't move any more"... I said I'd think about it and walked off.. It must say Tos*er on my forehead or something hahahaha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I am in the same state

Do I order a 2.2 Diesel Black Type S GT with Sat Nav, Storm Alloys and a Image Pack

Or

2.2 Diesel Black EX with Leather, Storm Alloys and a Image pack?

Which would look the more sporty and resale value would a 5 door EX sell better second hand?

I am such a dithering dizzy! Please make my mind up for me! ;-)

Thank Sean

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

Do I order a 2.2 Diesel Black Type S GT with Sat Nav, Storm Alloys and a Image Pack

Or

Which would look the more sporty and resale value would a 5 door EX sell better second hand?

Thank Sean
I´d go for the satnav.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts

Or

Thank Sean

how much do you use sat nav - if its once in a blue moon , then leather it is imo! i wish leather was available for R's as a factory fit :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts