2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only just discovered this excellent forum! It's taken me ages to trawl through the various topics, and I have to say that I am horrified at the number of apparently common problems. Two of the main selling points of a Honda for me (previous car = Focus) were build quality & reliability. I always knew I was taking a risk buying a completely new model, rather than waiting for at least a year for the teething troubles to get ironed out as I usually do!

I bought my Civic in April & I have to say that so far I have had very few problems. I have not noticed any shock knock but I think I will completely empty my boot and check again (especially reversing off the drive first thing in the morning). One thing I have noticed is occasionally in the last couple of weeks when opening the boot, there has been a sort of metallic cracking sound (like over-tightening a screw or bolt) as the lid travels the last inch or so. Anyone else got this? It may be a lubrication thing. I also had a bit of trim over the top of the near side rear light under the boot lid which had broken clips. This was replaced straight away, but why it was broken is a mystery as it seems to be cosmetic only and I can't see any reason for it to have been removed ex-factory. The worse thing was waiting for the space saver spare - 2 months. Altogether though I'm very pleased with the car so far. :D

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Welcome aboard Doctor :D

can't say I've noticed any creaking in the boot lid (yet)...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I think the problems are in the minority, so no worries. My EX i-Shift has no problems at all. Welcome to the discussion site for people who just love their Civics. :D

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
First:- Welcome Doctor!

Touching wood/fingers crossed etc., I took delivery of my Civic Sport 15 days ago and have managed to clock up some 2,500 miles since then giving the car a fairly serious workout round the West of Scotland plus the journeys up and back from the depths of the Hampshire / Dorset border - apart from a couple of occasional thumps from the rear suspension on the very worst of road surfaces I've been delighted!

This forum obviously appeals to the enthusiast as far as the Civic is concerned, and I think enthusiasts in any sphere are quick to find the 'niggles' - one of the main roles Civinfo.com plays is to give confidence to those who have a problem or two to approach the dealer about rectifying the matter - and good on 'em/us!

I hope you get your particular problems sorted soon so that you can get down to really enjoying the car.....

Welcome again! :)

Edit:- Just noticed that you're just up the road from me - post some pictures and I'll look out for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome Doc - glad to hear your car has been relatively trouble free. I have to wait until Oct for mine and the quality niggles do give some concern, hopefully outweighed the enjoyment when it finally arrives.

Keep on reading !!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Doctor and welcome, just remember this is a Civic and not the Tardis despite how it looks in the cockpit

Velocity

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Despite the niggles others are finding, I still have faith in my Civic (hopefully, Velocity, it will be reliable than the Tardis :D ). I used to have a 205 GTi many years ago, and this car is definitely the best for fun that I've driven since.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Welcome Doctor - I don't think the niggles are any worse than you'd get with any other brand/model with it being a completely new design, some of us have lots of problems, others haven't had any, no worse than any other NEW motor I think :)

No noise problems with my boot that I am aware of, just the fantastic waterfall you have to step back from when you open it after it's been raining ;)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hi Doc, and welcome. I've had two Focus' , 1.6 & 1.8 TDCI. No probs at all.

Only probs with the Civic, rear parking sensors did'nt work from day one. Replaced. And rear dampers knocking, replaced.

The engine is a cracker, (despite kevinlufc and his "smoker" comments :wink: ) , and really smooth. Its the body style that really grabs you though. It looks special. 8)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Welcome Doctor. Despite some of the niggles I still think we have a great car. It's the most fun I've had driving for years :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Doctor, welcome to the forum, looking forward for your medical advice on the civic :wink:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Doctor.

The creak has a solution, ring the dealer you bought it from, and he should know what to do.

there is a solution on the system from Honda

You will love the car, enjoy

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Martin said:
Hi Doctor.

The creak has a solution, ring the dealer you bought it from, and he should know what to do.

there is a solution on the system from Honda

You will love the car, enjoy
Hi Doc and welcome, I also had the creaking cracking noise from the talgate hinge. Cured it with WD40 applied to the offending hinge pin.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Perhaps its a dislocated hinge---- in which case the Doc should be able to fix it himself !! :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too have experienced the sensual pleasure of standing under the waterfall as the boot opens, Federov! Regarding the cracking hinges, it's only a very occasional thing fortunately. My own joints seem to crack far more often these days, and I suspect that WD40 won't help my knees!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts