2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just wanted to say what a fantastic idea this forum is - glad I came across it.

I'm due to pick up my 2.2 i-CDTi EX in Nighthawk Black on Mon and can't wait. It's the first time I've splashed out on a new, new car and basically once I'd taken the test drive I was hooked - just like the salesman said I would be. I was also considering the Octavia VRS, but in the end there was no contest.

Just wondering if there was any advice/info that might be useful as I start on my Civic journey!

glh1508 :D

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Welcome glh, just get ready for people to stare, and make sure you wave/flash at your fellow Civics, there are a few friendly ones out there who wave back. The diesel is fantastic, don't be too surprised with low mpg to start with, it soon goes up as things loosen off.

There are a couple of posts on here with a collection check list, I guess if you use the search function you'll find them.

Enjoy your new car! :D

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Best place to start is the thread about what to check for when you pick the car up -- there's a few things now on that list, just minor things really, but dealers can pull a fast one from time to time!

There's so much info here, it's hard to know where to start. There's a few HOW TOs in the how to section... maybe there's something there that takes your fancy as a project later on.

Finally, do a search for Meguiars cleaning products, we've had great results with these products for keeping the car clean, shiny and as good as you.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Welcome to the site. There's plenty of useful advice and guides on here. Enjoy you're new car and be sure to post some pictures in the gallery! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks. I'll check out the collection lists. Just wondering also about 'running the car in' - does this still exist or are modern cars more able to cope from mile one?

glh1508

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
And if possible post pictures of your new car once you get it :cool:

I know I will :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
glh1508 said:
Many thanks. I'll check out the collection lists. Just wondering also about 'running the car in' - does this still exist or are modern cars more able to cope from mile one?

glh1508
I think that's mostly rubbish with modern engines. However, you want to take it a bit easy at first if only to ensure all the safety systems and various parts are working correctly. Build up your confidence in the car, I say.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Yes - for the first 800 miles or so, don't drive it like you were Nigel Mansell, nor a 92 year old pensioner, and don't hold a constant speed on the motorway. So drive normally, in other words.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Brake gently for the first couple of hundred miles, for the brakes to bed in, and don't over-rev the engine, but at the same time don't have it labouring either. In other words, let it spin freely, oh, and welcome. Sorry about that. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi glh1508,

I'm new here too and like you I'm collecting my car next - exciting stuff or what :D

I've been looking at the optional extras - would like to tart up the car a bit with the silver speaker rings and sports gear knob

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Bart said:
I've been looking at the optional extras - would like to tart up the car a bit with the silver speaker rings and sports gear knob
I went for the gear knob for my Civic. I asked the dealer if I could install it myself after learning from Pottsy that it's basically just a case of screw off, screw on.
Last time I spoke to them they suggested I could get it installed at the same price as without the installation. Which was great with the gear knob being so pricey.

Read more here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks for the replies, folks - much appreciated :D

Like Bart I'm also considering tarting the car up - any recommendations? From what I've read the gear knob doesn't seem worth it, but what about these:

Blue ambient lighting - is it distracting when driving at night?

Skirts?

Doorstep garnish?

Any other ideas welcome.

glh1508

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The blue ambient lights are fantastic, they do not distract you at night, they have 2 settings they are bright with the door open, but when you turn the lights off they dim. If you get the ambient lighting then you need to get yourself the blue LED's for the overhead lights, not available from Honda, they are quite cheap, there is a thread around somewhere, justs search for Blue LEDs

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
The doorstep garnish is worth having. Protects the sills very well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There's stuff about the front speaker upgrades aswell. A few of us have done it now. It's fairly straight forward and makes a big difference to the sound. The silver speaker rings finishes it off nicely. But I'd deffinately go for the blue ambient lighting and the mod for the rear interior lights as well. The door garnish looks good too. I have an ES in Nighthawk black and added all of the above.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Welcome to the site, notice quite a few of you getting new Civics to collect at end of July, have fun everyone!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will the dealer be able to fit the silver speaker rings and door sill garnish if I order them on Monday as my car will hopefully be here next Friday?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Has anyone any idea how much the speaker rings are?

·
Registered
189 Posts
£33.97 but not sure if thats a pair or for four, i think is a pair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts